Schnelleinstieg Reader

Home|Search|Friedolin|Webmail en

Wortmarke FSU

Highest Honor for University Jena

University Krakau presented Merentibus Medal for more than 50 years partnership
PDF erstellen
zurück | vor
11.04.2013

 

On 8. April 2013, at a special session of Jagiellonian University (JU) Senate, the Friedrich Schiller University Jena was awarded Merentibus Medal. The petition to confer the award upon the Friedrich Schiller University Jena was filed jointly by the Council of the Faculty of Chemistry and the Faculty of Physics, Astronomy and Applied Computer Science, the first partners to collaborate with the Friedrich Schiller University Jena. The Honorary Awards Council recommended the petition at a session on 14 June 2012, whereas a resolution was passed by the JU Senate within the next two weeks.

At the award ceremony, Prof. Dr. Wojciech Nowak, Rector of the Jagiellonian University, reminded the audience that the cooperation with the Friedrich Schiller University Jena started over 50 years ago. The Friedrich Schiller University Jena was extremely helpful to the Jagiellonian University especially after the imposition of the Martial Law in 1981.

"The assistance that you offered to us at the time was not only of spiritual, intellectual and academic kind. It was also substantial financial assistance. And neither we nor future generations are allowed to forget it. The immediacy of the procedure under which Friedrich Schiller University Jena was awarded Merentibus Medal proves that the decision to confer the award was unambiguous. It was also our intent to honour the Friedrich Schiller University Jena," concluded Prof. Nowak.


Cooperation is Beneficial to Science

Prof. Dr. Klaus Dicke, Rector of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena, noted in his speech that the medal recognises all those who have been engaged in Kraków-Jena cooperation, which has proved so beneficial to science.

"This distinction obliges Jena University to draw from the history of our fruitful cooperation and to continue the exchange of students and professors as well as to conduct joint research projects", says Prof. Dicke. He added that in a few weeks' time Jena University together with Halle-Wittenberg University will officially open the Alexander Bruckner Centre of Polish Studies and set up MA studies about Poland.

As a token of gratitude for the previous cooperation, the Rector of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena presented to the Jagiellonian University Museum a lighter made from platinum designed in 1823 by the Jena chemist Johann Wolfgang Doebereiner. Quite recently the lighter has been reconstructed in a limited number of copies. "I decided to pick this particular object to acknowledge the Faculty of Chemistry and its substantial contribution to our cooperation. May it be the symbol of the sparks that have inspired us over the last 50 years and that we will inspire us in the future," said Dicke.

Jena University remains one of the biggest partners of the Jagiellonian University. University Jena was established in 1558 and is counted among the oldest universities in Germany. In 1934 it was renamed after its patron, Friedrich Schiller, who was teaching as professor of philosophy when Jena attracted some of the most influential minds at the turn of the 19th century.

Meldung vom: 2013-04-11 11:13

Logo Weltoffene Hochschulen gegen Fremdenfeindlichkeit

Logo Total E-Quality Coimbragroup Partnerhochschule des Spitzensports