Schnelleinstieg Reader

Home|Search|Friedolin|Webmail deen

Wortmarke FSU

FAQ - Häufige Fragen (Gaststudium)

Hier finden Sie einige Fragen, die uns häufig gestellt werden, und unsere Antworten darauf: 


WHO may APPLY for an exchange at FSU Jena and HOW can one apply?

You can find information on who may apply as a guest student and what you can study at FSU Jena here>>. Please also note the application deadlines.

How do I find ACCOMMODATION in Jena?

Due to the housing shortage in Jena we advise you to look for a room/flat as soon as poosible and to also consider moving to one of the surrounding cities (for example Weimar or Erfurt.) The Studierendenwerk Thüringen offers rooms in dorms and apartments for students. Apply here in any case and note the application deadlines (15 January and 15 July.) If you wish or need to search for a room on the private market, please use our list of useful links.

How do I get a VISA for Germany?

Apply for your visa in time as there may be a long waiting period. Please find information on the webpage of the Federal Foreign Office and the Immigration Office of Jena (in German only.)

Which HEALTH INSURANCE should I choose?

The insurance must be valid for the whole duration of your studies at FSU Jena. Students aged under 30 are expected to take our a German public health insurance policy (gesetzliche Krankenversicherung, e.g. AOK, Barmer, DAK, TK u.a.). We also accept a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).  If your scholarship sponsor has taken out a policy for you, please let us check whether we can accept it as equivalent. Students aged over 30 may take out a public health insurance policy only as voluntary members; they might take out a private German insurance policy (we accept Educare24, HanseMerkur, Mawista, Würzburger).

When does the LECTURE PERIOD begin and end? When is the EXAM PERIOD?

You can find information about the duration of the semester and the lecture period on the page Semestertermine. Also note the Public Holdidays in Germany.

How can I TRAVEL to Jena?

You may travel to Jena by bus, car or train. Please consider our information on how to travel to Jena from the main German airports here>>

What are the COSTS for studying and living in Jena?

There are no tuition fees. There is only a charge for sports and language courses which you can attend by choice. However, guest students have to pay a semester contribution as all other students do, mainly for the student ticket. Students need approx. €700/month for rent, food, health insurance, books and personal items. Bring at least €500 in cash for the first month.

Can I get a MENTOR who will help me after I have arrived?

Yes. There is a free mentoring programme for all international students who have just started their studies at FSU. You can find more information here>>.

WHICH COURSES can I take and how do I register for them? What is ONLEILA?

Please find all information about the ONLEILA system for guest students, choice of courses and registration, Learning Agreements and ECTS here>>.

I have FAILED an EXAM or think that my courses are too difficult - what can I do?

Please talk to the instructor/examiner whether you may resit the test. Also come to the International Office, we will try to help you find a solution. Please come as early as possible to the International Office, not at the end of the term.

My visa (Aufenthaltsgenehmigung) runs out or my studies take longer than planned. How can I EXTEND my VISA?

1. Come to the IO for advice no later than 6 weeks before your visa runs out.

2. Bring a letter or fax from your home university permitting the extension of your stay. Please also note the information on Jena Intercampus.

3. Make an appointment at the Immigration Office (Ausländerbehörde).

4. Take the IO's certificate of studies (Studienbescheinigung) to the Immigration Office.

Can I take a BREAK because I am ill or pregnant or need to raise my child or want to work as an intern or have to do my military service?

Guest students are not eligible for an official leave. Please come to the IO to talk about your situation and possible solutions.

Is there a WRITING CENTRE or who may help me writing term papers or preparing a presentation?

The Writing Workshop will help all international students free of charge. You may also ask your fellow german students for help, maybe you can study together sometime.

I will soon FINISH MY STUDIES in Jena. What do I have to do?

Fill in the Leaving Form (Antrag auf Exmatrikulation), collect all the signatures on the second page and come to the IO. We will issue a certificate of attendance (very important for Erasmus).

Important: Please go to the IO to hand in your Leaving Form on the day you are leaving Jena or one day before. Your Thoska will be valid until the end of term.

How can I get an INTERNSHIP?

In general, students have to find an internship on their own. Here are a few Praktikumsbörsen with various offers. Internships directly in Jena can be found here>>.

Before applying, make sure you have prepared a German-style CV and possible German translations of your certificates. Please also be aware of the labour regulations and your visa restrictions (see below.) You might have to arrange a liabilty insurance.

Who will TRANSLATE my documents?

Contact a translation agency (Übersetzungsbüro.) Professional translations may be more expensive, but they are always better.

Who will OFFICIALLY CERTIFY my documents?

The IO must not officially certify documents.

Instead, you should turn to the Bürgerbüro or the Deutsche Renten­versicherung. Here is an advice: bring the original and a few (good) copies. The fee for certification is €2.50 per page. Apostilles are issued by the Landesverwaltungsamt Weimar.

I LOST my THOSKA. How can I get a new one?

1. Ask the Thoska Office if your Thoska has been found. Ask them to invalidate it to prevent abuse.

2. Get a temporary ID at the International Office. Bring your passport.

3. Ask at the Thoska Office again . If the card has not been found after one week, apply for a new Thoska which will cost you €10. You may pay at the SSZ desk with your debit card.

I moved - who needs my NEW ADRESS?

Having moved house you need to inform the follwing institutions within 7 days: Bürgerbüro (here is the form for it), International Office (form), bank, health insurance. You do not have to inform the Immigration Office.

If you move from Jena to another place in Germany (e.g. for doing an internship), register your new address at the Citizens Registration Office of the new place of residence.

If you leave Germany for a certain period of time (e.g. for taking a break or studying abroad), inform the Citizens Registration Office about it (1 week before leaving). You need to inform the Immigration Office only if your residence permit ends during this period or if your stay abroad takes longer than six months. In this case, ask the Immigration Office for a re-entry visa (Wiedereinreisebestätigung) at least 3 weeks before leaving.

If you are leaving Germany for ever, inform the Citizens Registration Office 1 week before leaving.


Where can I find a JOB?

Jobs are offered at job fairs, at the Job Centre (Arbeitsagentur) and at the Studentenwerk's Infotake. However, you will find that jobs are very scarce in Jena.

See the information here and here>>.

EU citizens do not need a work permit. Everybody else needs a work permit if they wish to work more than 120 days per year (8 hrs a day). If you are employed at the university or library (as a Hiwi) it does not count into the 90 days period. 

I NEED MONEY to go on with my studies. What can I do?

Please come to the IO or the Studentenwerk for advice.

You should not apply at the German State for subsidies such as Wohngeld or Sozialhilfe. This will tell the authorities that you do not have sufficient means to finance your stay and will jeopardize your visa.

What can I do if I feel LONELY?

Do not wait for others to speak to you; turn to them, ask them to drink coffee with you or go to the cinema together. Go to the international events offered by IntRo and its groups at the International Centre or by the Wohntutoren at the dorms. 

Tip: register at the Yahoo-Group-Calendar, which keeps you informed about events.

I feel SERIOUSLY UNWELL or believe I won't be able to meet the requirements.

Please do make use of the free-of-charge, anonymous counselling at the IO or the professional advice of the psychosoziale Beratung provided by the Studierendenwerk. 

I had an ACCIDENT or accidentally DAMAGED something (e.g. by fire or water.) or need LEGAL advice

You should tell this the IO and the Studierendenwerk (Social Matters & Service) as soon as possible. Some of the costs might be covered by one of the student insurances.

If you need legal advice, you can get it for free by a lawyer (a Studierendenwerk Service).

Where do I find CHILD CARE facilities?

There are three child-care facilities (Kindertagesstätten [Kita]) of the Studierendenwerk and many others in Jena, but you have to register your child well in advance. On campus, there is a short-time baby sitter (JUni-Kinder), but you have to register for it in advance, too. 

What is GEZ? What does RUNDFUNKGEBÜHR mean? Do I have to pay?

Every household has to pay Rundfunkbeitrag (previously: GEZ). Even when there is no TV, radio or internet access in your flat. The good news is: if you share a flat with other people, you can divide costs between you and your flatmates. If you are already paying - make use of it, e.g. to learn/ practice your German. There are a few interesting and helpful TV and radio shows like Campusradio and CampusTV. For further information look here>>.


Here is a list of the religious communities in Jena.

I am in trouble with certain LEGAL CONTRACTS, e.g. accommodation, mobile phone, etc. - where can I get help?

Please come to the IO for advice. Free legal counselling is available for students.

Where can I get cheap HOUSEHOLD ITEMS like plates and pans?

You might have a look at the Umsonstladen (lower part of the Market, opposite Apollo-Optik), or at the cheap stores around the market place or in the big supermarkets. Also ask your Wohntutor

The Umsonstladen will be happy to take your stuff when you leave (if it is not damaged.)

I LOST important objects. Where can I go?

Ask at the International Office, the Student Service Center or Jena's Lost & Found.

Bundesweite Aktion der HRK-Mitgliedshochschulen Partnerhochschule des Spitzensports Link zur Coimbragroup Jenaer Familiensiegel Total E-Quality partnerlogos