Schnelleinstieg Reader

Home|Search|Friedolin|Webmail deen

Wortmarke FSU

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Here we have collected the frequently asked questions. If you do not find an answer to your question, please contact us by clicking on the last question below.

Our best of FAQ´s: FAQ 2, FAQ 3, FAQ 13 and FAQ 17!


October 2016

1. General Information

Where and when do I find information about the new semester?

  • If you search for general dates, e.g.: public holidays, the beginning or end of the teaching period, click here for information about the semester dates.
  • In the electronic course catalogue Friedolin you will find all necessary information about the latest courses. For the summer semester, it is available from the middle of February and for the winter semester from the middle of August.
  • You will also find detailed information about all German courses on the Language Center's website.

2. Courses

What is the difference between Main Courses, Intensive Courses, Complementary-Courses, In-Depth Courses and Specialized Courses?

For the levels A1 to C2 we provide you with Main courses that consist of 2 x 90 mins/week. In combination with a textbook, you will practice all your language skills (Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing).

Intensive courses take place from Monday to Thursday and cover 60 hours. We distinguish between Intensive Courses during the semester (3 hrs./day about 4 weeks) and the non-lecture period in September (4 hrs./day about 3 weeks). Also in these courses you will practice all your language skills (Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing).

In addition to these Main Courses, Complementary courses with 2 hrs./week (1x 90mins/week) are offered. These courses focus on particular skills, e.g.: listening/comprehension, speaking (pronunciation), conversation, grammar and writing. The levels of the Complementary Courses are designed to match the respective Main Courses.

You are free to enroln in both courses, a Main Course and in a Complementary Course at the same time or you just enrol in to enrol in either one of the two.

For levels B2 to C2 we offer In-Depth Courses and Subject-specific Courses with 1x 90mins/week. The In-Depth Courses focus on improving your various language and applied language skills (e.g.: academic writing, study and presentation skills). The Specialized Courses will deal with the specialist language for particular fields of study (e.g.: "Deutsch für Mediziner" or "Wirtschaftsdeutsch").

To express your ideas for further courses or to make suggestions regarding new language courses, please contact us: .

See also FAQ 3 "Teaching / Non-teaching periods", "FAQ 22 "Time and duration of the course", FAQ 23 "Teaching materials", FAQ 24 "Exams", FAQ 25 "Credit points (ECTS-points)", FAQ 26 "Certificate", FAQ 30 "Another question".

3. Teaching / Non-teaching period

When do the German Language courses take place?

The German courses take place in summer semester from April till July and in winter semester from October till February. Additionally we offer German language courses during semester break in September.

Please inform yourself on our home page at Registration and Courses about the current dates of the German language courses.

When do we have non-teaching periods or public holidays?

You can check the semester dates of the FSU Jena here.

Please note that it is not acceptable to be on holiday during the lecture period or to skip classes. If you skip more than 20% of the classes, you will get neither a graded certificate of achievement nor a certificate of attendance (FAQ 25 "Credit points/ECTS-points") and consequently your German course achievements will not be recognized (no ECTS-credit points).

Your course instructor will also provide you with the examination requirements at the beginning of the language course (FAQ 24 "Exams").

See also FAQ 2 "Courses", FAQ 7 "Steps to participate in German language courses", FAQ 16 "Absence".

4. ATS courses

I am enrolled as an exchange student in the special ATS courses. Am I allowed to enrol in a course offered by the Language Centre as well?

Yes. Exchange students who already participate in ATS language courses offered by the Institut für Auslandsgermanistik are also allowed to enrol in German language Courses offered by the Language Centre. However, please do not underestimate the academic requirements and the amount of work related with participating in an ATS course. The German courses offered by the Language Centre are intended only as supplementary to your ATS courses and not as substitutes.

You can acquire additional ECTS-points at the Language Centre, if you have finished your course(s) successfully. Our German language courses can also count as a part of your Learning Agreement for your home university.

Please check FAQ 7 "Steps to participate in German language courses"

By the way: Did you know, you can also take courses in other languages with the Language Centre? Follow this link for further information.

5. Student of other German higher education institutes than the FSU

I am a student of another German higher education institute in Germany (e.g.: Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar or elsewhere). Can I also take German Language Courses with the Language Centre of FSU Jena?

In general, yes. Students from the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena can join courses from the B1-level. Language courses at A1 or A2 level will be provided for you from your universities.

If you have further questions, please contact us: .

See also FAQ 10 "Status".

6. Certificate achievements elsewhere

I have been learning German for many years. I would like my achievements elsewhere to be recognized by the FSU Jena for my studies. Can the Language Centre help me?

Unfortunately, no. If you need to meet admission requirements or you would like a recognition of your German language skills for your studies, please contact your faculty's Examination Office (e.g. Prüfungsamt).

7. Steps to participate in German Language courses

Which steps do I have to follow in order to participate in a German language course?

Every person, who wants to participate in a German language course of the Department of German (as a foreign language), DaF, is asked to stick to the following steps:

a) Online-registration/Re-registration

Please register online on our homepage:

Even if you have already participated in one of our German language courses you have to re-register online.

b) Placement test       

After your registration, we will invite you via E-Mail to the placement test. The date, time and location will be provided in the E-mail we will send you and can be reviewed at the home page of the Language Centre as well.

With the written placement test, we have a comparable basis from which we are able to suggest suitable courses to you.

c) Personal enrolment

At the personal enrolment, your result of the placement test will be released. After providing you with your test result, you can choose the appropriate course from our range of courses. You are only permitted to attend German courses after you enrolled, therefore every person has to come to the personal enrolment - it does not matter if you have already done a course at the German department or not. The time and location will be mailed to you in time.

Please bear in mind that student numbers are limited in these courses. Enrol in time or you may not get a place.

d) Transfer of course fees

After the enrolment, you will receive an E-Mail to confirm your participation in the course chosen by you. We will ask you as well to pay the course fee as soon as possible to guarantee an optimal start of your language course. Therefore, please bring a copy of your transaction to your class and show it to your teacher.

Brief remark: Who does not have to participate in the placement test?

  • Follow-up students: If you have successfully completed a course in the last semester (grade better or 2,7) and you have received your graded certificate of achievement, please bring it to the personal enrolment. You do not need to write the placement test again.
  • Learners with no previous knowledge in German, who want to attend the course A 1.1.

See also FAQ 17 "Course fee" and FAQ 18 "Conditions of payment".

8. Participation in Placement test and Personal enrolment

I will not participate in the placement test and/or the personal enrolment. What should I do?

In this case please contact us as soon as possible in order to find a solution for you: .

It´s not possible to participate in one of our courses without writing the placement test and attending the enrolment personally. (But: If you already took part in a Main Course in the last semester with a grade better than 2.7, you do not have to participate in the placement test again. Please come directly to the personal enrolment. Bring your certificate with you. See also FAQ 26 "Certificate".

See also FAQ 1 "General information", FAQ 3 "Teaching/Non-teaching periods" and FAQ 7 "Steps to participate in German language courses".

9. Irregular participation

I would like to participate in a Main Course, but I can only attend once a week. Is this a problem?

Yes, it is. Our experience has shown that attending irregularly is not an effective way to learn a language. You would be better advised to take one of the Complementary Courses, which are 2 hrs a week. Within each language level (e.g.: A2) you can attend all or all Complementary Course(s).

See also FAQ 2 "Courses" and FAQ 16 "Absence".

10. Status

How do I know which status I have?

Your course fee for German courses at the Language Center (SPZ) depends on your personal status.

If you have a matriculation number of the FSU Jena (look at your Thoska card or your temporary student identification), you are enroled as a:

  • full-time student, part-time student, exchange student
  • Doctoral candidate/ PhD student at our university.

If you don't have a matriculation number, you are:

  • a full-time student, part-time student, exchange student at another German higher education institute
  • an external Doctoral candidate/PhD student without enrolment at the FSU Jena,
  • an employee (e.g.: Postdoc), a visiting scholar of the FSU Jena or a family member
  • a guest
  • Alumni of FSU (within 18 month after your final degree)

Please check our home page concernbing the amount of the course fee (per course) for regular semester courses and intensive courses.

See also FAQ 13a "Admisson to course and "Admisson to study".

11. Other language certificates

I already have a language certificate. Do I still have to take the written placement test?

Yes. Even if you already have a language certificate from a different institute or language school, you can only participate in a course after taking the written placement test and attending the personal enrolment.


Your certificate shows that you already achieved a certain level of German, but it does not show whether the stated level conforms to those we use. Our courses might be too hard or too easy for you. It is important to verify your language level with the written placement test in order to find the most suitable course for your individual purposes.

There are two exceptions:

Equivalence to telc Language Tests, Goethe Certificates, DSH and TestDaF

If you already passed a german language test with a very good result and your certificate is not older than 6 months, you do not need to write the placement test.

  • telc B1 or Goethe Certificate B1 with 210-330 or 100-70 points: You can participate in courses on level B1.2-B2.1.
  • telc B2 or Goethe Certificate B2 bzw. C1 with 210-300 or 70-100 points: You can participate in courses on level B1 plus-B2.2. 
  • telc C1, telc C1 Hochschule, telc C1 Beruf or Goethe C2 with 151-214 or 70-100 points: You can participate in courses on level B2.1-C1.
  • DSH-2 or TestDaf 3-4 with 16 till 18 Punkten: You can participate in courses on level B2.
  • DSH-3 or TestDaf 5 with 19 or 20 Punkten: You can participate in courses on level C1.

Your exact language level will be provided to you at the personal enrolment by the team of German as a foreign language (DaF).


Please send your certificate after your online registration via mail to . Your certificate has to be shown at the personal enrolment.

See also FAQ 8 "Participation in Placement test and Personal enrolment.

12. Self-Evaluation

What happens if the result of my written placement test is worse than my self-evaluation?

Nobody can fail the written placement test

The written placement test assesses only your language proficiency in German on that day. It helps us to advise you and to find the best course for you.

The result of your placement test will be published at the personal enrolment. It is possible to enrol personally for a course, which is half a level higher (not more) than your placement test result (for example: result: A2.1; Course: A2.1 or A2.2).

See also FAQ 7 "Steps to participate in German language courses".

13a. "Admission to course” and “Admission to study”

What is the difference between "Admission to course" and "Admission to study"?

If you want to study at the Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, you need to be admitted to study. Depending on the study program, you will obtain this admission from the International Office, the Student Service Centre (SSZ) or the Master Service Centre (MSZ) of the FSU Jena.

If you have registered online and been accepted for a German language course offered by the Language Centre, you will receive an admission to the German language Course you have chosen via E-mail. This is not an admission to study!

Therefore, the admission to a participate in German language courses at the Language Centre is neither a basis to obtain a student visa nor a residence permit for full-time students or language course participants.

13b. Visa


I would like to apply for a visa at my embassy in my home country. Can I register earlier and admit into a german course?

Unfortunately, no. An early registration or admission to our german courses is not possible.


Can I get an invitation respectively a registration letter that I am willing to participate in a german course?

Unfortunately, no. The Language Centre does not give any invitation letters respectively registration letters in advance for any visa issues. International students, who are enroled respectively matriculated at the Friedrich Schiller University, can contact the International Office of the Friedrich-Schiller-Universität in these cases.

Please check FAQ 7 "Steps to participate in German language courses" and FAQ 13a "Admission to course and Admission to study".

14. Number of language courses

How many language courses am I allowed to enrol in at the same time?

You may personally enrol in multiple language courses, but only on the language level that you currently have (A1 or A2 or B1 or B2 or C1 or C2).

Please remember, you will be asked to do preparation and homework. So, do not cause more stress for yourself than necessary!

See also FAQ 2 "Courses".

15. Unsuitable language course

I realize that the language course I have chosen does not suit me. What can I do?

In justified exceptional cases, it is possible to change your language course during the first 2 weeks of the semester. In such cases, you should discuss your problems with your instructor, who will advise you what to do.

If you decide to change course or to drop out, please inform us via E-mail and send a copy (cc) of that mail to your course instructor.

16. Absence

How often am I allowed to be absent?

It is not advisable to miss class.
Please inform your course instructor via E-mail in advance, if you are not going to make it to the course.

  • For a course with 2hrs/week (1x 90 min): 3 times
  • For a course with 2hrs/week (2x 90 min): 6 times

If you miss more than specified above, you cannot take part in the exam.

If you have an important reason (e.g.: sickness, exam, internship) to be absent longer than it is acceptable, please talk to your course instructor in time.

17. Course fee

How much does a course cost?

In most cases, you have to pay a course fee in order to take part in any course. How much depends on:

  • the type of course: e.g. Main Course or Intensive Course (see FAQ 2 "Courses")
  • whether you are a student, employee or guest (see FAQ 10 "Status")

All important information regarding the course fees are here.

If a German course is mandatory for your studies, i.e. in your study and examination regulations it is stated as a mandatory part of your studies at the FSU Jena and its result is to be listed in your transcript, then the course is free. Please inquire at your faculty or department as to whether any official registration for the examination has to be submitted.

Please note:

  • Exchange students (e.g.: ERASMUS) are not taking their degree from FSU Jena and therefore must pay for German language courses.
  • Participants may only take part in the course and the final exam, if they have paid all necessary fees.

Please note that cash payments are not possible. Payments must be made by bank transfer.
Textbooks and other teaching materials are not included in the course fee.

See also FAQ 23 "Teaching material".

18. Conditions of payment

    Can I pay cash? Can I transfer the course fees using an international bank transfer (BIC, IBAN)?

    • FSU students (full-time/exchange/post-Graduate/students from other German higher education institutes) may not pay in cash. All payments have to be made by bank transfer. If you do not have a German bank account, you will have to ask someone who does to pay on your behalf and give them the cash, or you can make a cash payment directly at a bank. This latter option could be quite expensive as the bank will make a charge for the transfer. Please ensure that YOUR NAME should be on the payment slip (in the reason for payment/ "Verwendungszweck") even if someone else pays on your behalf. (See also FAQ 17 "Course fee", FAQ 19 "Payment of a third person")

    • External post-graduate students, FSU employees and guest researchers can pay at FSU's Student Services Centre, using en EC card. Your card must support Maestro or Cirrus. You will need to have the appropriate form as a guest student (course participant application).

    International bank transfers are not advisable as bank charges would be high relative to the cost of the course and these charges cannot be refunded. Therefore, our advice is not to try to pay from a bank outside Germany.

    19. Payment from a third person

    Is it possible, that somebody else pays for me?

    Yes. It is just important, that your full name and the course title are given on the transfer form (in the 'purpose' field/"Verwendungszweck"). General information about the course fees and payment can be found here.

    20. Overpayment

    I have paid too much/too little money. What should I do now?

    If you have paid too little, please transfer the remainder as quickly as possible.

    Please check the right amount of course fees before you transfer the money. A reimbursement of costs is only possible when the erroneous payment was not self-inflicted - e.g.: when the course you have enrolled in is cancelled. It is possible that you take the transferred money as a deposit for next semester.

    You will find all information about the course fees here.

    21. Lecture hall

    Where do I find information about the lecture halls?

    At the online course administration Friedolin or on our home page  ( > courses), you can you find all information about your lecture hall. To provide you with some general information about the Campus in Jena and some typical places and buildings where most of the Gemran courses takes place, click here.

    Or use Kartenportal Jena.

    Please note: At the start of the semester the lecture halls somethimes change. Please keep yourself updated via Friedolin.

    22. Time and duration of the course

    When does my language course start? How long is a lesson?

    A lesson usually takes 90 minutes without a break. This are two teaching units of 45 min.
    The number of teaching units per week is called "Semesterwochenstunden" (SWS). In a course with 4 SWS you will have 180 minutes´ class time per week. One teaching period has 15 weeks, so that you will have a total of 60 teaching units.

    You will see that the electronic course catalogue Friedolin allocates a block of two full hours (120 minutes) for each lesson. Your 90 minutes lesson will take place within these two hours. We recommend that you arrive punctually for the first meeting as given in Friedolin. The instructor will tell you at what time the lesson will start in future.

    23. Teaching materials

    What kind of textbooks do I need for the class?

    All Main Courses work with a textbook. You can get all the information about the books on our home page at textbooks

    Complementary coursesIn-Depth Courses and Subject Specific Courses are based on teching material, which will be provides by your teacher. You will be informed about the teaching material in the first lesson by your teacher.

    Where can I buy the textbooks for class?

    Friedolin and your course instructor (in the first lesson) will provide you with the information regarding which textbook you need in the first lesson. You can buy and order your textbooks at a book store (-e.g.Thalia at Neue Mitte) using the ISBN-number.

    Adress: Jenaer Universitätsbuchhandlung Thalia

              Leutragraben 1

              07743 Jena

    See also FAQ 2 "Courses", "FAQ 22 "Time and duration of the course", FAQ 25 "Credit points (ECTS-points)".

    24. Exams

    When do I have exams and what kind of procedure will it be?

    Usually the exams take place during the penultimate or last week of the course. Your instructor will provide you with the exact dates in time.

    There are both forms of exams in the Main Courses - oral and written exam (each form 25% of the final mark FAQ 25 "Credit points"). About exams in Complementary Coursesor In-Depth-Courses you will be informed by the first lesson.

    Course participants, who do not participate in the exams or who achieve a grade 5,0, may receive a certificate of attendance at the end of the course, if they have participated regularly. Re-sits are not usual. If you cannot take an exam for an important reason, please contact your course instructor at the earliest opportunity.

    See also FAQ 25 "Credit points", FAQ 26 " Certificate".

    25. Credit points (ECTS-points)

    How does the rating system work? Do I get credits (ECTS-Points)?

    When a course has been successfully completed you will get a graded certificate of achievement ("Leistungsschein") consisting of general information about the course, information about your examination requirements, ECTS-points and grades.
    What does that mean exactly?

    • Credits (ECTS-points):

                            o    Main Courses and Intensive Courses : 5 credits (ECTS-points)

                            o    Complementary Courses, In-Depth Courses and Subject Specific Courses: 3 credits (ECTS-points)

    Credits (ECTS-Points): For a course that consits of 2 SWS (1x 90 min. per week), you can receive 3 ECTS-points and 5 ECTS-points for a 4 SWS course (2x 90 min. per week). If you learn German by your own with the Multimedial Language Learning, you can get 1 ECTS-point when achieving a workload of 30 hours. These credits points will be recognized by the Examination Office ("Prüfungsamt") and your home university.

    • Grade calculation 


     1,0 1,3
     %  95-100%  90-94% 85-89%
     75-79%  70-74%  65-69%  60-64%  55-59%  50-54%  0-49%
       Excellent  Still Excellent,
    only minor
    Very good,
    the average

    with a small
    number of
    with notable
    Satisfactory Satisfactory,
    with significant
    Sufficient Sufficient,
    Successfully completed

    Generally, in Main and Intensive Courses your grade consists of the following parts:

    • 25% attendance and active participation
    • 25% mini tests and homework
    • 25% oral exam
    • 25% written exam

    An overview about the exams in the Complementary Courses, In-Depth-Courses and Specialized Courses is given in Friedolin.

    In the first lesson, you will get all necessary information concerning content and workload of the course (text book, course fee, grades, credits, attendance).

    See also FAQ 23 "Teaching material", FAQ 24 "Exams", FAQ26 "Certificate".

    26. Certificate

    Do I get a certificate? What kind of qualification do I have then?

    After completing a course successfully you get a "Leistungsschein" (graded certificate of achievement) or a course card (for exchange students only).

    • Leistungsschein (graded certificate of achievement)

    If you have participated regularly and you have successfully completed your course, you can be awarded a graded certificate of achievement (with your grade and ECTS-points).

    • Teilnahmeschein (certificate of attendance)

    If you have participated regularly but have not successfully completed your course (e.g. because you sat the examination but failed or you did not write the exam), you may receive a certificate of attendance (without a grade and without ECTS-points).

    You will need to collect your certificate during the office hours of the Language Centre´s office (Ernst-Abbe-Platz 8, 5th floor, room 523).

    • Course card (for exchange students)

    If you are an exchange student (short-term student, enrolled at the FSU Jena but not taking your degree here, -e.g.: ERASMUS exchange students, you will have a course card.

    If you have successfully completed your course, the instructor will fill in and sign the course card for you. Then you have to take your course card to be stamped by the secretary of the Language Centre (Ernst-Abbe-Platz 8, 5th floor, room 523).

    Please note: The grades you receive from the Language Centre indicate your achievement in the course you took (FAQ 24 "Credit Points"). Exams are internal to the FSU Jena and are not intended as substitutes for external, international standardized testing.

    See also FAQ 24 "Exams, FAQ 25 "Credit points (ECTS points).

    27. CEFR (GER)

    What does CEFR (GER) mean?

    Our German language courses correspond to the levels of The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) or "Gemeinsamer Europäischer Referenzrahmen für Sprachen" (GER) - a guideline used to describe the achievements of learners of foreign languages in order to the grade one´s language proficiency.

    The CEFR (GER) divides learners into three broad divisions:

    • A 1 - A 2: Basic User
    • B 1 - B 2: Independent User
    • C 1 - C 2: Proficient User; the successful completion of this level will be needed to study. Those who wish to enrol in a German language degree program at a German university have to provide proof of German proficiency at this level of the CEFR (see also FAQ 28 "DSH").

    For further information about the CEFR (GER), please check CoE and the Goethe Institute's website.

    28. Language Examination for a German University

    I am looking for a German language examination.

    • telc C1 Hochschule

    At the Language Centre you can take the examination in telc C1 Hochschule ablegen. Please get informed about the registration process and the dates of the examination here: --> Zertifikate telc Language Tests

    • Test DaF

    Informations about TestDaF at

    • Deutsche Prüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH)

    The courses that prepare you for the German language examination (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang, DSH) at the FSU Jena are offered by the JenDaFe.V. For further information, please look here:

    Please note: The Language Centre is not responsible for DSH courses and is therefore unable to answer questions about the DSH or to issue certificates. Please direct all questions about this issue to the International Office at the FSU Jena that is indicated on the page above.

    29. Other German courses

    I am looking for a different course, which is not offered yet.

    We are open to suggestions for changes in our program. We need at least 15 participants per course. If you have a good idea for a new course and enough interested course participants, please contact us: .

    If you want to learn German independently by sharing your own language skills or at the International Language Tables visit the Int.Ro Tandem and Language Tables websites.

    Other German language courses are also offered by the "Institut für Bildung und Integration (IBI)", "Institut für Interkulturelle Kommunikation e.V. (IIK)" or the "Volkshochschule (VHS)".

    30. Another question...

    I have another question...

    We constantly endeavour to expand and improve our information. If you have any further questions, please contact us via E-mail:

    Bundesweite Aktion der HRK-Mitgliedshochschulen Partnerhochschule des Spitzensports Link zur Coimbragroup Jenaer Familiensiegel Total E-Quality partnerlogos