Prof. Walter Rosenthal was born in Siegen in 1954. He studied Medicine at the University of Gießen and the Royal Free Hospital, School of Medicine, in London. In 1983, he completed his doctorate in Gießen, in 1990 he followed through with his habilitation in the field of clinical pharmacology at the Freie Universität Berlin. Followingly, he spent two years as a Heisenberg scholar at Baylor College, Houston, Texas (USA). From 1993 to 1996, he was headof the Rudolph Buchheim Institute for Pharmacology at Gießen University. In 1996 he was awarded the directorate of the Research Institute for Molecular Pharmacology, today Leibniz Institute for Molecular Pharmacology. In January 2009, he moved on to the Helmholtz research institute Max Delbrück Centre (MDC) in Berlin-Buch, and became scientific director and chairman of the Helmholtz Foundation.
In May of 2014, Professor Rosenthal was elected President of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena by the university's senate and university council. He started his six-year term of office in October, 2014. In this function, he is the successor of Prof. Dr. Klaus Dicke who, after a ten-year term of office, refrained from once more running for this office.
Prof. Rosenthal has published a great number of publications on cellular signal procession. His memberships include that of the Leopoldina. Walter Rosenthal is married and father to three children.
For a more comprehensive version of his cv, please click here [pdf 267KB].
9. November Rede zur Gedenkveranstaltung „Reichspogromnacht“ [pdf 479KB]
27. Oktober Rede zur Feierlichen Immatrikulation [pdf 248KB]
30. Juni Grußwort bei der Festveranstaltung zum Schillertag [pdf 251KB]
20. Juni Grußwort zur Ehrenpromotion von Herta Müller und Prof. Dr. Wlodzimierz Borodziej [pdf 341KB]
10. November Grußwort anlässlich der Eröffnung des Jenaer Reformationsjahres [pdf 312KB]
27. Oktober Rede zur Feierlichen Immatrikulation [pdf 250KB]
14. September Grußwort im Deutschen Wissenschaftshaus in New York City [pdf 315KB]
4. April Grußwort zur Tagung Illustrierte Flugblätter [pdf 246KB]
26. Juni Grußwort bei der Festveranstaltung zum Schillertag [pdf 254KB]