Three students with face masks in the library

Covid situation

Information for international students
Three students with face masks in the library
Image: Jens Meyer (University of Jena)

Last update 20 October 2022, 09:00.


Get vaccinated or boost your vaccination now! Currently, there are vaccination appointments via the vaccination portal Thuringia or at doctors. There are also many offers without vaccination appointment.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Current Covid situation, masks, rapid testing Expand entry

Please note the regularly updated information, also about hygienic rules,


Wearing medical /FFP2 masks is mandatory in means of public transport.

Currently, masks are not mandatory at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena. However, it is still strongly recommended to wear a qualified mouth-nose protection (medical/FFP2 mask) inside the university – especially in larger groups and if the minimum distance of 1.5 metres cannot be maintained. Because even though the infection situation seems to be easing, caution is still advised. We appeal to everyone to protect themselves and others as well as possible.

Rapid testing

You can find an overview of all current test centres in Jena and their opening times on:

The rapid tests are not suitable for symptomatic persons and not to end a quarantine. Please contact your family doctor instead.

Currently, rapid tests are not offered for free for everybody. Exemptions may apply. Learn more (DT)

2. Vaccination against Covid 19 Expand entry

Get vaccinated or boost your vaccination now!

Currently, there are vaccination appointments via the vaccination portal Thuringia or at doctors. There are also many offers without vaccination appointment.

Who can be vaccinated?

Everybody may be vaccinated. If you are only in Jena/Germany for a short-term guest stay, please make sure that you are still there for all necessary vaccination appointments.

Before each vaccination, a detailed consultation with your doctor will take place. Please mention any previous illnesses or existing Covid vaccinations. Bring the relevant evidence with you.

I already have a vaccination that is not recognized in Germany. Should I get vaccinated again?

A vaccination with an EMA-recognized vaccine in addition to a non-EMA-recognized vaccine (e.g. Sputnik, Sinovac) results in increased vaccination reactions. You may be vaccinated, but there are no official recommendations yet regarding subsequent vaccination. Anyone wishing to be vaccinated in Germany should under no circumstances conceal a non-EMA-recognized vaccination already received and have the vaccination reactions monitored. Bring a written proof.

Where can I get vaccinated?

You may find a list here.

At the vaccination centre in the University, the doctors speak English. You may also find a German-English health dictionary helpful.

I do not have a vaccination pass. Where can I get one?

Please ask your family doctor for an international vaccination pass. If you do not have a general practitioner yet: Look here for a general practitioner or general practitioner near your home.

Can I use the (international, multilingual) vaccination pass I brought with me?


How much does the vaccination cost?

The vaccination is free of charge.

Is my vaccination recognized internationally?

Germany recognizes vaccination proofs issued in German, Englisch, French, Italian or Spanish. In any case we advise you to bring a digital or paper proof of your vaccination with you.

Currently, Germany only recognizes vaccinations accredited by the European Medical Agency (EMA)/the Paul Ehrlich Insitute (PEI). They might have other names abroad, check with the PEI:

  • Comirnaty (BioNTech)
  • Spikevax (Moderna)
  • Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca)
  • Covid-19 Vaccine Janssen (Johnson & Johnson Jannsen Cilag)
  • Novaxovid (Novavax)

Pharmacies issue electronic vaccination certificates on the basis of vaccination certificates/passports and the lists of the Paul Ehrlich Insitute (PEI).

There is no evidence yet on the effect of vaccination with an EMA-approved vaccine on a non-EMA-approved vaccine (e.g., Sputnik, Sinovac). Therefore, there are no recommendations yet regarding subsequent vaccination. Under no circumstances should one conceal a non-EMA-recognized vaccination already received.

If you wish to know whether a vaccine that you may get in Germany is recognized in another country, please check their regulations.

3. Information for applicants and students Expand entry

The winter semester 2022/23 started on 01 October 2022 and ends on 31 March 2023. The lecture period started on 17 October 2022 and ends on 10 February 2023. Teaching is offered on site, but subject to changes depending on the current situation. The exact format of academic courses can be found in the course catalogue. Please note the information about the current campus situation.

Application for the summer semester 2023: Please refer to the relevant application pages for information about our study programmes, deadlines, and special features.  Make sure to check these pages regularly, because there may be changes to the deadlines due to the Covid situation.

4. Enrolment of new international students Expand entry

After admission, check our information for new students regularly, especially the information on enrolment of international students.

5. Entering Germany Expand entry

Please see the general information.

Please also read No 2 of this list.

If an embassy or border control requires a special certificate for entering Germany in addition to your admission letter, please point to the website of the Ministry of the Interior , FAQ  Are apprentices, students, school pupils, au pairs, volunteers, trainees and participants in language courses and vocational training measures from outside of the European Union allowed to enter Germany?. There it is explicitely stated: "And it is again possible to enter Germany for the purpose of completing a university course of study or for individual semesters of study. Students are required to present an admission notice issued by the institution of higher education. Because institutions of higher education are offering both online and in-person instruction, it is not necessary to provide any separate documentation of the need to attend in person."

6. Re-entering Germany / re-registration / travelling during the lecture-free period Expand entry

If you leave Jena/Germany and wish to return, for example in lecture-free periods, please note the information on entering Germany/Jena, especially the regulations regarding quarantine and testing. Also, check the regulations of your destination abroad, and make provisions for a possible quarantine you may have to keep at each place, also by talking to your flatmates, neighbours or dormitory manager. Avoid conflicts with your study obligations (exams, on-site courses).

Non-EU citizens need a valid visa/residence permit to re-enter Germany.

  • Note that even valid residence permits become invalid if you leave Germany for more than 6 months! Inform your local Immigration Office BEFORE leaving Germany to ensure a smooth return. A Fiktionsbescheingigung is not valid for re-entering Germany.

If your current visa/residence permit expires before you enter Germany again, you must apply for a new entry visa at the German Embassy in your current country of residence. You might need a re-entry certificate from the university. Please contact the Student Service Centre (degree-seeking students), Graduate Academy (doctorale students) or the International Office (guest students, DSH course participants) as soon as possible. However, the certificate will only be issued if you are registered for the current (and re-registered after 15 February/August for the coming) semester by having

  • payed the semester fee and
  • got a valid health insurance for the whole semester and
  • got no other re-registration blocks (failed exams, documents to be submitted, etc.).

If you need a certificate about whether your courses are taught digitally or on site, please contact your examinations office or study programme advisor (contact in the programme description).

We advise you to keep your German local Immigration Office informed about your situation.

Unvalidated thoskas can be validated in the main university building close to the porter's lodge.

7. Immigration Office/extension of residence permit Expand entry

After enrollment/if required, we will send you a certificate of enrollment, which you can use to apply for a residence permit for study purposes at the Immigration Office in your place of residence.

It is not allowed to enter the Jena city administration (and Immigration Office) without an appointment.

Bring along:

If you book your appointment at the Immigration Office in Jena now, your current residence permit will be extended for a short time (so-called "fiction"; see the email confirming your appointment).

This "fiction" does NOT entitle you to re-entry if you leave Germany in the meantime. See the information No 7.

If you do not live in Jena, please inform yourself about the regulations in your place of residence.

8. Help in case of quarantine and support by mentors Expand entry

In case of quarantine

  • Inform your flat mates and neighbours and your landlord, e.g. Studierendenwerk.
  • Follow the hygienic rules of your place of residence (e.g. the City of Jena) and the Studierendenwerk if you live there.
  • In case of illness, follow the rules of your place of residence (e.g. the City of Jena). See also "After entering Germany".
  • Ask your neighbours or mentor whether they can help you with shopping. Many supermarkets also offer delivery services. You may also register for Corona neighbourhood support or contact the Bürgerstiftung Jena (or tel. 03641-63 929 20; please leave your telephone number on the answering machine).
  • The Studierendenwerk and the Mental Health First Aid offer counselling and advice in psychological stressful situations. See also the offers of other institutions (partly in German only).

Support by mentors

  • Our arrival mentors are unpaid volunteers. We cannot oblige them to provide support.
  • Active mentors are asked to provide contactless support (email, telephone, chat, messenger programmes).
  • In the event of a mentee's quarantine, they could be dependent on someobody to do their shopping. Mentors and mentees should let us know:
  • If you wish to offer your help, register for Corona neighbourhood support or contact the Bürgerstiftung Jena (or tel. 03641-63 929 20; please leave your telephone number on the answering machine). Thank you.
9. Financial problems Expand entry

If you have lost your job because of the corona crisis, see if there are any other job opportunities for you. Temporary help is currently being sought in supermarkets, messenger services, distributors, and in agriculture.

If you cannot pay your rent, please contact your accommodation service to ask for a deferment. Contact your health insurance if you cannot pay the rates right now, ask for a deferment.

If you are in acute shortage of money and cannot ask anyone for credit, please read the information on

  • financial hardship loans from the Studierendenwerk Thüringen (100% must be paid back, international students do not need a warrantor, but a guarantor of their German address)
  • the emergency fund  of the International Office (hort-term scholarship, must not be paid back).

In any case, please note the general information on financing your studies. In the Corona situation, you can exceptionally receive short-time work compensation (Kurzarbeitergeld). However, it still applies that you should not apply for other state benefits such as unemployment benefit or housing allowance, because this endangers your residence permit.

10. Studying digitally Expand entry

For digital or hybrid studies, orgainzing your studies or examinations, or collaborating with other students, there are several tools.

11. Healthy studying Expand entry

The Unisport de offers online courses to stay fit physically.

Don't stay by yourself! - Here de are a few tips where to meet people and spend your free time nicely.

Psychological support is offered by the Studierendenwerk and the Mental Health First Aid.

Contact: International Office​

International Students
Fürstengraben 1
07743 Jena
Office hours:
Please see "more information" on the left for our contact information and availability.