Here you find answers to the most frequent questions we get.
Semester dates, teaching periods, semester breaks & vacation periods Show content

You can find all information about dates of teaching periods, semesters, vacation times etc. on the website of the University Jena.

Courses Show content

The German as a Foreign Language Section offers German courses at the following levels: A1.1, A1.2, A2.1, A2.2, B1.1, B1.2, B1 plus, B2.1, B2.2, C1.1, C1.2.

You can find our current courses, including course descriptions in the online administration system Friedolin.

We provide an overview of German courses as a pdf file. You can find all information concerning the enrolment procedure under Application.

Recognition of language certificates of German competence Show content

We recognise the following language certificates:

  • Goethe-Zertifikate marked “sehr gut” or “gut”
  • telc language certificates marked „sehr gut“ or „gut“
    • Exception: We do NOT recognise the Deutsch-Test für Zuwanderer (DTZ)
  • DSH 1 and TestDaF 3 – You can join our B2.1 courses.
  • DSH 2 and TestDaF 4 – You can join our B2.2/C1.1 courses.
  • DSH 3 and TestDaF 5 – You can join our C courses.

If you have any of the above which is not older than six months, you do not have to take the placement test.

Please present your language certificate at the personal enrolment.

Please note: If you have to demonstrate your German language skills to obtain university entrance to a particular study programme at the University Jena, please consult your responsible examination office.

How do I know my status? Show content

At the University Jena, the course fees for German courses depends on your student/non-student status.

If you are registered at the FSU

You will find your registration number on your University Jena THOSKA card or your temporary student’s card. Your status will be:

  • Full-time, part-time, or exchange student
  • Doctoral/ PhD student

If you are not registered at the FSU

You will have a University Jena THOSKA card with no registration number or, if you do not possess a THOSKA card or a temporary student’s card, your status will be one of the following:

  • Full-time, part-time, or exchange student of another German institution of higher education
  • Doctoral/ PhD student without student status of the University Jena
  • Employee, visiting scholar, or family member of the aforementioned
  • Guest
  • Alumni of the University Jena

Follow the links for more information about the Application and Course fees depending on your student/non-student status.

Self-evaluation Show content

It is difficult to judge your own language skills correctly. You might choose a course that is too difficult or too easy for you.

Therefore, the written placement test for enrolment in our German courses is obligatory. It determines your current language level and serves to help finding the right course for you. You will receive your test results by email. It is not possible to fail the test.

Admission to the course vs. admission to a study programme Show content

You need an admission to the course to participate in a German language course at the University Jena. Take the written placement test and register for a German course at the personal enrolment. You will get your admission via email, pay the course fees, and can join the language course.

Please note that admission to single German courses at the Language Centre of the University Jena is not a basis for obtaining a student visa or residence permit for full-time students or participants of a language course.

You need an admission to a study programme if you want to study at the University Jena. Depending on your study programme, you obtain your admission at the International Office (Internationales Büro/ IB), the student service centre (Studierenden-Service-Zentrum/ SSZ), or the Master’s service centre (Master-Service-Zentrum/ MSZ) of the FSU.

University entrance qualification Show content

You can find more information about the test for university entrance qualification under telc or International certificates.

Visa Show content

The Language Centre of the University Jena is not responsible for any visa concerns.

If you have any questions regarding your visa application, contact the immigration authority that is responsible for you.

The Language Centre does not issue any invitations or confirmations to prove your course participation.

Expenditure of time for one language level Show content

The following indications combine time present in the course and time for self-study.

  • A1: 80-200 hours
  • A2: 200-350 hours
  • B1: 350-650 hours
  • B2: 650-800 hours
  • C1: 800-1.000 hours
  • C2: at least 1.000 hours

Please note that learning is an individual process. Commitment, time invested, and the use of additional practice activities are only some of the factors that influence the time you personally need to progress through the various levels.

If you have already learned one or more other foreign languages, you will usually learn German faster. If you participate in a language course in Germany, where you hear and speak German beyond the actual language course, you are also likely to learn German faster than in a German course in your home country.

Similarly, if you join an intensive course, you will probably make faster progress. This is due to the intensity of the practice.

Enrolment in the Language Centre’s German as a Foreign Language (DaF) courses Show content

You can find all relevant information regarding the enrolment under Application

Am I allowed to participate in more than one language course? Show content

Generally, you can participate in all language courses at your language level (A1 or A2 or B1 or B2 etc.).

Please note that you need to take time beyond the classroom hours for preparation and review of the work for each course. Please do not put yourself under too much pressure.

Also remember there is an attendance requirement and you should not exceed the number of absences if you want to obtain a certificate, more importantly, if you want to make progress.

Am I allowed to participate in both ATS courses and in DaF courses? Show content

Yes, exchange students who are taking part in ATS courses at the Institute of German as a foreign and second language, and intercultural studies are allowed to join further language courses of the Language Centre. However, the placement test for ATS courses is not valid for Language Centre German courses. Always take our placement test, if you want to join our courses.

Please do not underestimate the academic demands and the expenditure of time for your ATS courses. The German courses of the Language Centre can serve only as supplement to your ATS courses.

You can gain additional credits for language courses taken at the Language Centre. Your home university may also credit these language courses in your learning agreement.

We would like to draw your attention to all languages the Language Centre offers.

I joined the wrong course. What can I do? Show content

You can change courses only during the first two weeks after the course started as long there is a good reason. Please talk to your course instructor first. They are experienced and will gladly advise you.

If you do want to change or drop courses after consulting your course instructor, please inform us by email at  deutsch@uni-jena.de and add your course instructor to the cc.

Payment of the course fees Show content

You find all information regarding course fees on the page of the course fees.

You need to transfer the money. It is not possible to pay cash.

If you do not have a German bank account, ask a friend or fellow student to transfer the money. Please check that your name given in the reason for payment –only then does the bank statement count as proof of payment. It is not advisable to transfer payment from abroad as transaction fees cannot be refunded.

When does my course begin? How long are the lessons? Show content

Lessons usually take 90 minutes without break. This is equal to two teaching units (TU, Unterrichtseinheiten/ UE) with 45 minutes each.

The number of teaching units per week is also called number of Semesterwochenstunden (SWS). Thus, a course with 4 SWS corresponds to 180 minutes of classroom time per week during a semester of 15/14 weeks. That is 60 teaching units of language lessons.

The online course administration system Friedolin displays language courses with two complete hours (120 minutes) per course. Your course, 90 minutes of time, takes place during these 120 minutes. We advise you to be on time for the first lesson – as stated in Friedolin. Your course instructor will tell you the actual time the course will start in subsequent weeks.

Which textbooks do I need and where do I buy them? Show content

You can find all information concerning text and workbooks under Material.

You can buy the books by means of the ISBN online or at a book shop. For example:

The University Jena partner book store Thalia

Leutragraben 1

07743 Jena


I only have time to go to a language course once a week. Can I join nonetheless? Show content

You can take part in complementary / advanced courses if you just have time to attend once a week. Within a single level, e.g. A2, you can join any or all complementary courses.

For our main and intensive courses, it is necessary to take part several times per week. You will need this time to learn the language efficiently.

How often am I allowed to miss a lesson? Show content

In order to learn efficiently it is not advisable to miss lessons, except due to illness or other important reasons.

Please contact your course instructor in advance and via email, if you cannot make it to the lessons.

You are allowed to miss three lessons max. if you join a course with 30 TU(UE).

You are allowed to miss six lessons max. if you join a course with 60 TU(UE).

If you miss further lessons, you cannot take the exam.

When are the exams? Show content

Exams are usually in the penultimate or last week of the course. Your course instructor will tell you the exact date.

How does the grade system work? Show content

If you pass the course you can get a so-called “Leistungsschein” (Graded Certificate of Achievement). Here, you will find general course information and grading as well as information concerning credits (ECTS points) and marks.

For main and intensive courses (60 teaching units, Unterrichtseinheiten/ UE) you gain 5 ECTS points.

For complementary/ advanced courses or subject specific courses (30 teaching units, Unterrichtseinheiten/ UE) you gain 3 ECTS points.

For reported participation in the self-access tutorials, you gain 1 ECTS point for 30 teaching units.

Calculation of marks


  • 1,0 = 95-100 %
  • 1,3 = 90-94 %
  • 1,7 = 85-89 %
  • 2,0 = 80-84 %
  • 2,3 = 75-79 %
  • 2,7 = 70-74 %
  • 3,0 = 65-69 %
  • 3,3 = 60-64 %
  • 3,7 = 55-59 %
  • 4,0 = 50-54 %


  • 5,0 = 0-49 %

Your final grade in main and intensive courses consists of:

  • 33,33 % course attendant work (tests, homework, course activity etc.)
  • 33,33 % oral exam at the end of the course
  • 33,33% written exam at the end of the course

Your course instructor provides the composition of your final grade in complementary / advanced courses.

Do I receive a report on my performance? Show content

You will receive either a “Schein” (see above) or a grade on your course card (Kurskarte). Please note that “Scheine” and course cards are valid only for concerns of the University Jena and do not replace external, standardised tests.

If you take part in the courses regularly and pass the test, you will receive a “Leistungsschein” (with a grade and ECTS points)

If you take part in the courses regularly but fail the test or cannot take the test, you will receive a “Teilnahmeschein” (Particapation Certificate, without a grade and ECTS points).

Exchange students (short-term students registered at the University Jena but not taking a degree here, e.g. ERASMUS students) receive a course card. Please note that the course card can ONLY be filled in, signed and stamped at the secretary's office of the Language Centre.

Please be noted: You can only pick up your certificates upon presentation of a valid ID (Thoska/Passport) or a mandate for someone else.

What grade do I need to take a continuation course? Show content

To take part in a continuation course (main and intensive course) you need a final mark of 2,7 or better.

Further opportunities for learning German Show content

We are always open for changes in our course programme. It is necessary to have at least 15 participants for a new course. If you have ideas for further courses, perhaps with a different focus, or if you have enough interested learners who are prepared to join you, please send us an email.

If you want to learn German beyond the regular language courses, you can find further information at the Int.Ro for the Language Tables or the possibility of a language tandem.

I have another question … Show content

We try to improve and broaden our information system continually – you can help us!

If you did not find an answer to your question? Please send us your question(s) via E-Mail.

Share this page
Friedrich Schiller University on social media:
Studying amid excellence:
Top of the page