Symbolbild Virus

Coronavirus: FAQ

Answers to the most frequently asked questions for staff
Symbolbild Virus
Abbildung: Fotolia

News for employees on the corona virus

Due to the current situation, there will be no office hours until further notice. Please direct any inquiries to the responsible processor by phone or email. Until further notice, contracts are concluded by sending the relevant documents by post. Please support us by sending the completed documents back to us. The changeover also means that longer lead times, particularly for hiring and continued employment, will be necessary, since the postal route must also be planned. For this we ask for attention and understanding. Thank you very much!

For further information regarding your employment, please refer to the FAQ for employees below. Further general information can be found in further FAQ.

Questions on behaviour in case of illness

1. What should I do in case of illness? Eintrag erweitern

If, while on duty, an employee shows symptoms that suggest a suspected COVID-19 disease (e.g. acute loss of sense of smell and taste, fever, cough and shortness of breath), they must leave the workplace immediately and contact their general practitioner. Alternatively, information can be obtained by telephone from the responsible health department.

Subsequently, the further course of action should be clarified with the immediate superior. It may be possible to arrange working from home (home office).

In the case of COVID-19 infection, proceed according to the process flow in the case of infection (German only). Persons with a proven COVID-19 infection or with COVID-19 symptoms and respiratory symptoms, i.e. with signs of a cold or flu, are not allowed to enter the university premises.

2. What do I do if I am infected with COVID-19? Eintrag erweitern

First inform the public health department responsible for you. Generally, the health departments receive reports about positive test results, decide on the necessary measures, inform contact persons according to their risk assessment and impose necessary quarantines.

Due to the current high number of cases, the public health department in Jena asks people who have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 to inform their contacts themselves so that they can enter quarantine without delay (see question 7). The public health department will also inform the persons concerned.

Please inform us about your (certified) inability to work or about the isolation by using this form. Only the health departments make risk assessments, not the employer.

3. Do I need a certificate of incapacity for work (sick note) if I have to isolate anyway due to my Corona infection? Eintrag erweitern

Tariff employees

If a feeling of illness and symptoms such as a cold, fever or sore throat are present, a sick note should be requested from a doctor. During the period of incapacity for work, the salary will continue to be paid within the framework of the regulations on continued payment of salary in the event of illness. Hand in the sick note as usual.

If there are no symptoms, no certificate of incapacity for work may be issued by the doctor according to the Federal Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians. If it is not possible to work from home in these cases, the employer must check whether the conditions for compensation payment according to the Infection Protection Act (IfSG) are met (see question 5).

If the conditions for a compensation payment are not met, no payment will be made by the employer for the period of isolation. Please note that you will initially continue to be paid your salary without this constituting a legal entitlement to a non-tariff salary continuation payment. A correction will be made by the competent salary office at a later date.

Professors and civil servants

If a feeling of illness and symptoms such as a cold, fever and sore throat are present, a sick note should be requested from a doctor. Salaries will continue to be paid for the duration of the incapacity. You submit the sick note (certificate of incapacity) as usual.

If there are no symptoms, a certificate of incapacity cannot be issued. If it is not possible to work from home in these cases, further steps must be examined on a case-by-case basis. Please inform us of your absence via the contact form. The HR department will then contact you to clarify further steps.

4. How do I, as an employee, report a Corona issue (e.g. positive test result, quarantine) to the HR department? Eintrag erweitern

If you want to inform the HR department, as representative of your employer, about a specific situation (quarantine without working from home or lack of care facilities), please use this form.

5. What do I do if a quarantine is ordered? Do I get paid during this time? Eintrag erweitern

What do I have to do?

Please use this form to report a specific case of illness or quarantine to your superior and to the HR department as representative of your employer. Please state the specific reasons for the quarantine, e.g. return from a risk area.

During the period of quarantine, you are not allowed to enter the workplace/properties of the university. Violations can be punished with a fine of up to € 25,000 in accordance with the applicable Thuringian quarantine regulations.

Will I continue to receive my salary during the quarantine period?

If you are able to carry out your tasks from home in agreement with your superior, there will be no change in the payment of salary. The rules for the provision of work apply without restriction, i.e. the expected amount of work must also be provided in full when working from home. If it is only possible to work from home to a limited extent, the corresponding minus hours must be documented.

If it is not possible to complete tasks from home, compensation shall be paid in accordance with section 56, paragraph 1 of the Infection Protection Act (IfSG).

However, a claim may be ruled out for various reasons.For example, compensation under Section 56(1) IfSG will not be granted if the activity ban or quarantine is due to an avoidable journey to a risk area under Section 2 No. 17 IfSG (the classification at the time of departure is decisive), i.e. a journey for which there were no compelling reasons or reasons that could not be postponed at the time of departure (e.g. tourist trip) or if quarantine could have been avoided by taking advantage of a vaccination.

Please note that you will initially continue to receive your salary without this constituting a legal entitlement to non-tariff salary continuation. A correction will be made by the competent salary office at a later stage (offsetting of the salary paid against the compensation payment according to the IfSG). For the first six weeks, the compensation is paid by the employer in the amount of the loss of earnings or offset against the salary already paid. From the seventh week onwards, the payment by the employer ceases. In these cases, the employee must file an application for compensation with the competent authority (Thüringer Landesverwaltungsamt). The payment will then be made by the authority in the amount of the sick pay pursuant to section 47 (1) of the Fifth Book of the Social Code, provided that the loss of earnings does not exceed the annual earnings threshold for compulsory health insurance.

6. What do I do if quarantine is ordered for a member of my household? Eintrag erweitern

If a member of your family or a person living in the household is in quarantine, you are not automatically covered by the quarantine. The public health department recommends limiting contact with these persons if possible or separating yourself from them. As long as no symptoms are present in this household member and no measures have been ordered by the health department, work at the University of Jena can continue. However, strict adherence to the AHAL rules and contact restrictions must be ensured.

7. What should I do if I have had contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19? Eintrag erweitern

Please observe the guidelines of the Robert Koch Institute on the duration of quarantine for contact persons and exceptions to quarantine.

Inform your superior and the HR department (see question 9).

8. What do I do if I am fit for work, but an activity in the presence of other colleagues could be associated with corona-related risks? Eintrag erweitern

In the event of special Corona-related circumstances without acute impairment of the ability to work (e.g. contact with suspected persons still without quarantine regulation, waiting for results of obligatory tests, mild cold symptoms not impairing the ability to work), short-term individual arrangements can be agreed between employees and superiors in accordance with § 10 of the service agreement on alternating telework (German only). In these cases, work can also be done from home.

The daily work time target must be met in this case. Should you not be able to fulfil your work obligation or not be able to fulfil it completely, please refer to questions 5 to 9 under Questions about working from home.

9. How can I send general enquiries to the HR department or request information? Eintrag erweitern

For general enquiries and requests for additional information, please use this form.

If you wish to inform the HR department, as representative of your employer, of a specific issue (quarantine without working from home or lack of care facilities), please use this form.

Questions about working on site

1. Is the 3-G regulation in the workplace still valid? Eintrag erweitern

Since 03.04.2022, there is no longer an obligation with regard to the requirement of 3-G at the workplace. The workplace or the university's properties can be entered without 3-G proof.

2. Is taking a test at a test centre considered time at work? Eintrag erweitern

No, travelling time and the performance of tests do not count as working time.

3. What Corona protection measures are recommended when working on site? Eintrag erweitern

The so-called AHAL rule applies: distance (Abstand) – hygiene – everyday mask (Alltagsmaske) – ventilation (Lüften).

A minimum distance of 1.5 metres from other persons must always be maintained.

In cases where the minimum distance cannot be maintained, and generally in corridors and traffic areas of the university, mouth-nose protection must be worn. According to legal requirements, qualified masks (medical or FFP2/3 masks) must be provided by the employer. Further details are regulated in the infection protection plan of the University of Jena (German only).

During the Corona pandemic, specific guidelines were laid down for protective clothing and some materials, e.g. disinfectants. Please inform yourself about contact persons, the ordering procedure and the cost unit via this link.

Employees who have physical contact with others in the university should ensure regular and extensive ventilation of the premises to ensure hygiene and to reduce any airborne pathogens. It is also recommended that all employees document for themselves with whom they have had occupational contact, in particular whether there was personal contact at a distance of less than 1.5 metres for at least 15 minutes.

This is necessary in order to be able to trace and interrupt the chain of infection as quickly as possible in the event of an illness. In principle, alternative forms of communication (e.g. telephone or video conferencing) should continue to be given preference over presence for discussions, meetings, etc., where possible and appropriate. Regular hand washing and disinfection (see also the RKI's advice on disinfection, from page 13, German only) should also be observed.

Since this special situation can also lead to psychological stress among employees (higher work intensity, conflictual contacts with university members, social distancing, etc.), management should additionally sensitise themselves to these issues and signal to their employees that they are willing to talk about these and similar topics.

Employees in a risk group should additionally inform themselves under question 6.

4. What does Physical Distancing mean? Eintrag erweitern
  • The WHO recommends a safe distance of at least 1.5 metres from other people.
  • Avoid all physical contact; refrain from shaking hands and hugging when greeting or saying goodbye.
  • Do not address the other person directly, but "talk past each other".
  • If this is not possible, hands should be washed after every physical contact; in particular, avoid touching eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
  • If possible, conduct meetings by telephone or video conferencing. If this is not possible, meetings can only be held in well-ventilated rooms. Keep meetings as short as possible (the time factor is highly relevant in avoiding infection) and ensure the necessary safety distance. Medical mouth-nose protection should be worn.
  • If possible, work in separate offices or use workplaces that are as far away from each other as possible (at least 1.5 m). However, separation is not mandatory. There is no requirement for a minimum square metre per person.

The infection protection plan of the University of Jena (German only) and compliance with the AHAL rules are decisive (see question 4).

5. I belong to the risk group. How do I act correctly? Eintrag erweitern

The Friedrich Schiller University of Jena follows the risk assessment of the RKI (German only).

The University of Jena does not differentiate according to age. Employees from the other risk groups are asked to coordinate their workplace situation with the occupational safety department and, if necessary, with the occupational health service, and to include the HR department in the result.

If you belong to a risk group, you must provide a medical certificate to prove it.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact the HR department using this form.

6. I am disabled. What does that mean for me at the workplace? Eintrag erweitern

Insofar as the disability leads to an increased risk in case of infection, see question 6.

7. I am pregnant. What does that mean for me at the workplace? Eintrag erweitern

The Friedrich Schiller University of Jena follows the risk assessment of the RKI (German only).

If there are no indications of an increased risk in the case of severe disease progression, the general requirements for occupational safety during pregnancy apply. An individual risk assessment should be carried out by the gynaecologist in charge.

If you have any questions, please contact the HR department using this form.

The German Society for Gynaecology and Obstetrics (DGGG) (German only) provides extensive information on COVID-19 and pregnancy.

8. What regulations are there regarding childcare in the event of restrictions in school and daycare operations? Eintrag erweitern

Working from home

Wherever possible, superiors shall work towards enabling employees with care responsibilities to work from home.

Wherever possible and suitable, activities should be carried out at home with the consent of the superior (if necessary also on a pro rata basis). Availability by telephone must be ensured. When working from home, the daily working time owed under service law or the employment contract must be covered and, as a matter of principle, only this time can be credited.

Activities that are not suitable to be performed at home must continue to be carried out at the office in compliance with the applicable infection protection plan (cf. hygiene framework plan [pdf, 405 kb], German only).

Agreements on working from home (time, tasks, etc.) are made in consultation between the superior and the employee. It is not necessary to inform the HR department about the home office.

Children's Sick Days

With additional children's sick days and children's sick pay, the Federal Government is helping parents and single parents whose children cannot be looked after or cannot go to school due to the pandemic: Parents with statutory health insurance can also apply for children's sick pay in 2022 for 30 working days per child with statutory health insurance (single parents for 60 working days). If there are several children, each parent is entitled to no more than 65 working days, for single parents no more than 130 working days.

You can find more information in question 5 under Questions about working from home or on the website of the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs (German only).

Questions about working from home

1. What are the current regulations for working from home? Eintrag erweitern

For activities in which this is possible, the new SARS-CoV-2 Occupational Health and Safety Regulation still recommends working from home for infection control purposes until 25 May 2022. However, employers are no longer obliged to offer this. The university aims for personal exchange, meeting, on-site service and working in presence to become the norm again.

Nevertheless, it should still be possible in the future to work from home certain days or hours in agreement with superiors and for activities which are suitable for working from home and if there are no operational reasons to the contrary. Superiors may allow employees to work at home, especially if it is in the interest of occupational infection control or the personal situation of the employee.

Availability by telephone must be ensured. When working from home, the daily working time owed under service law or the employment contract must be fulfilled and, as a matter of principle, only this time can be credited.

2. How can I work from home? How do I set up my workplace at home? Eintrag erweitern

For all employees of the university with a home office already set up for alternating teleworking, working from home is possible without any problems.

Employees who use a laptop as a work device can in principle also work from home. "Home" means the domestic place of residence that is registered with the employer. Working from abroad usually leads to a lack of social security coverage and a tax liability abroad and is therefore not permitted.

With their own PC, employees can work from home via web browser. You can access your work e-mails via the following link. The cloud server of the University of Jena is available here. Further information on the use of private devices in home office can be found here.

In order to be able to access data or services that are only available within the university network from home or on the road, a VPN connection ("Virtual Private Network") must first be established. This is a secure connection between your own computer, smartphone or tablet and an access point to the university network, through which all data traffic is routed. In this way, you can also use the library online, for example. This link en provides detailed and comprehensible instructions on how you can use VPN to set up access from home or on the road. If you have further questions, please contact the University Computer Centre en (URZ).

If you work from home, please use e-mail for communication. Call forwarding of your business telephone connection is only possible to an external landline number – not to a mobile telephone number.

You can use the Microsoft Office software as an employee of the core university (not the University Hospital) at home on up to five private devices. Information can be found here: Microsoft-Produkte (section b).

For information on the use of video and web conferencing, please refer to the homepage of the URZ (German only).

In the invitation to participants to your online event, also include a link to the data protection information that the Legal Office has prepared: [pdf 172KB] [pdf 165KB]

Chatting is a convenient way to share information on the web. There is also a dedicated chat server at the University of Jena, through which communication takes place securely. Chat clients can be downloaded and installed for free, there is a description here:

Please note that telework is subject to the same labour regulations (planned working hours, maximum working hours, and break times) as work in the office.

The framework and core working time of flexitime arrangements can be generously extended in all cases where this is functionally justifiable. Furthermore, employees are free to perform their work on all working days (and thus also on Saturdays).

3. What support is there for "working and further education at home"? Eintrag erweitern

On the website of the Section Staff Development en you will find a wide range of information and advice on these topics, among others:

  • work organization while working from home
  • further education while working from home
  • management of teams working from home
  • ergonomic design of workplaces at home
  • active breaks when working from home
  • compatibility of working from home and family
  • coaching for employees and managers
  • psychological stress due to working from home and social distancing
4. Who do I have to inform if I want to work from home? Eintrag erweitern

Please discuss this directly with your superior.

For the purpose of personal proof – e.g. in case of questions regarding contact tracing or for the preparation of your tax return – it is recommended to document the days spent working from home in your time sheet accordingly.

5. How do I proceed correctly if I cannot or can only partially fulfil my work obligations at the moment – even when working from home? Eintrag erweitern

In individual coordination with your superior, you can use the following options to relieve yourself of your work obligations:

  • reduction of your flexitime credit
  • building up a flexitime minus to an extent coordinated with the superior
  • use of annual leave in coordination with the superior
  • Application for special leave instead of annual special payment or instead of future basic salary (
  • unpaid leave / special leave beyond three days in accordance with § 29 para. 3 sentence 1 TV-L or § 25 para. 2 sentence 2 ThürUrlVO

These instruments are generally available to all employees – including those who are not entitled to compensation under section 56 IfSG (e.g. older children, loss of public transport connections, school holidays, etc.). For applications for unpaid leave / unpaid special leave within the scope of your duty of care and, in principle, for special leave instead of annual special payment, we recognize the official interest in this context.

If you cannot or do not want to reconcile childcare / nursing tasks and required work duties – even when working from home – these options are open to you (per child under 12 years / for relatives in need of care):

  • three days paid leave (if not already taken; for civil servants: max. three days special leave with pay in total)
  • For parents who have to look after their children due to the closure of schools and day-care centres and who cannot reasonably be expected to work from home, see question 6
  • Parents who have to care for their children at home due to restrictions in daycare and school are entitled to additional sick days for children or compensation according to the Infection Protection Act.

In 2022, each parent will again be entitled to 30 child sick days per year per child, single parents are entitled to 60 days. If there are several children, each parent is entitled to a maximum of 65 working days. For single parents, this entitlement increases to a maximum of 130 working days.

From 20 March 2022, the entitlement to child sickness benefit will again only exist if the child is ill and there is a corresponding need for care.

Further requirements are that:

  • both the parent concerned and the child are covered by statutory health insurance,
  • the child has not yet reached the age of 12 or is dependent on assistance due to a disability,
  • no other person living in the household can supervise the child.

The amount of children's sick pay is usually 90 per cent of the net pay lost. If the child is ill, a medical certificate must be submitted to the health insurance provider; if the employee is absent from work due to childcare, a certificate from the school or daycare facility is required.

For more information, see the questions and answers on children's sick days and children's sick pay from the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (German only).

Please note that it may not yet be possible to implement the unpaid leave promptly in the next salary or remuneration statement, so that the deduction will only be made in a subsequent month. Please take this into account in your financial planning.

6. As a tariff employee, do I receive compensation if I have to look after my child(ren) myself due to the closure of schools and day-care centres in accordance with the Infection Protection Act, and if I am also unable to work from home or cannot work fully from home? Eintrag erweitern

The prerequisite for entitlement to compensation is that an employed person suffers a loss of earnings due to the fact that, as a result of the closure of a day-care centre, a school or a facility for persons with disabilities to prevent the spread of infections or communicable diseases, they have to look after, supervise or care for their child(ren) in need of care, supervision or nursing themselves, because they cannot secure any other reasonable possibility of care, and are therefore unable to pursue their gainful employment. The same applies if the facility itself is not closed, but the children are not allowed to enter the aforementioned facilities due to a segregation affecting them.

Who is eligible?

An entitlement under Section 56(1a) IfSG also exists for employed persons if school or company holidays are ordered or extended by the competent authority for reasons of infection protection or if compulsory attendance at a school is suspended; i.e. also in constellations of distance learning in the context of pupils' home environment or in the case of hybrid teaching.

A child is in need of care if they have not yet reached the age of twelve or if they are a child with disabilities who is dependent on assistance. There is no age limit for a child with disabilities in need of assistance, i.e. a claim for compensation also exists in principle for children who have reached the age of majority.

Are foster parents entitled to compensation?

Yes, if a child has been taken into full-time care according to § 33 of the Eighth Book of the Social Code, the claim for compensation is due to the foster parents instead of the parents.

Am I entitled to loss of earnings during school holidays?

There is no entitlement to compensation insofar as closure of the facility would take place anyway during the school holidays established by state law.

Under what conditions is compensation paid?

  • The prerequisite is that the persons concerned cannot realise any other reasonable care (e.g. by the other parent or emergency care in the institutions).
  • However, persons at risk do not have to provide care for the child or children. This applies, for example, to older people, such as grandparents, and to people who have a health condition.
  • Another prerequisite for compensation is that all other possibilities have been exhausted to temporarily take paid time off from work. This includes the reduction of time credits and holiday entitlements.
  • Working in a home office must also not be possible or reasonable.

How much is the compensation?

If the requirements are met, compensation for loss of earnings is granted for children up to the age of 12. It should be noted that the entitlement to compensation under section 56(1a) IfSG, amounting to 67% of the monthly net income, currently applies per childcare case/closure order for a maximum period of ten weeks (50 working days) (for single parents, 20 weeks (100 working days) apply). In addition, the Thuringian state government has decided on a financial supplement to the compensation in the amount of 25 % of the individual gross table pay for the first four weeks (20 working days) at the most.

How long is the compensation granted for?

Compensation is granted for a maximum period of ten weeks for each employed person, and for a maximum of twenty weeks for employed persons who supervise, care for or nurse their child alone. The maximum period of ten or twenty weeks does not have to be used up in one go. The compensation period need not be continuous. The legal regulation on compensation is valid until 19.03.2022.

Who pays the compensation?

The employer will pay the compensation for a maximum of six weeks.

Further information can also be found in the information paper of the Federal Ministry of Health (German only) or under (German only).

7. How do I receive the compensation payment according to § 56 para. 1a IfSG as a tariff employee? Eintrag erweitern

The regulations on compensation payments under § 56 Abs. 1a IfSG require a loss of earnings. This applies to employees in the event that unpaid leave is granted (time off according to § 29 Abs. 3 Satz 2 TV-L/ special leave according to § 28 TV-L).

If you are unable to fulfill your work obligation or not fully due to existing care obligations, please apply for an unpaid leave of absence from the HR department via your supervisor (for information). You can use this sample, which you can also send as a scanned-in email to your HR department.

Please coordinate the individual design of your leave of absence with your superior. The employees of the HR department are available to support you and your supervisor.

If you have any questions, please contact the HR department using this form.

8. As a civil servant, do I receive compensation if I have to look after my children myself due to the closure of schools and day-care centres in accordance with the Infection Protection Act, and if I am also unable to work from home or cannot work fully from home? Eintrag erweitern

No compensation can be paid to civil servants in accordance with the Infection Protection Act. However, under the following conditions, you may be granted leave from work in accordance with section 60, paragraph 1 of the ThürBG in conjunction with section 28 of the ThürUrlVO, with full payment of your salary, for a total of up to 34 working days, or up to 68 working days for single-parent civil servants. This leave option existed for the duration of the epidemic situation of national scope determined by the German Bundestag in accordance with section 5 (1) sentence 1 of the Infection Protection Act per year, beginning with the first determination of the same on 28 March 2020. Since the determination of the epidemic situation was not extended last time, a leave of absence can still be applied for until 23 September 2022 under the conditions listed below. The annual period started anew on 28 March 2022. The exemption possibility exists to the extent of 34 or 68 working days.


  • The competent authority shall, for reasons of protection against infections
    • close community facilities (e.g. day-care centres), facilities for people with disabilities, schools or after-school care centres,
    • or prohibit them from being entered, also on the basis of segregation,
    • or school or company holidays are ordered or extended,
    • or the compulsory attendance at a school is suspended,
    • or access to childcare facilities is restricted,
  • the closure of the aforementioned facilities does not take place anyway because of school or company holidays or within the scheduled closure times,
  • children affected by the closure or the prohibition of access and to be looked after by the civil servants have not yet reached the age of twelve or are disabled and dependent on assistance,
  • and other reasonable care cannot be provided without the leave of absence.

The same applies if there is an official recommendation to refrain from attending an institution for the care of children, a school or an institution for people with disabilities.

The possibility of taking time off exists regardless of whether the service is or can be performed at home. Flexitime credits shall be reduced as a matter of priority. Special leave previously granted for this reason under section 25(2) sentence 2 of the ThürUrlVO shall be credited against the 34 or 68 working days.

If, by prior agreement under service law, the weekly working time is distributed over more or less than five days per week, the number of days of special leave shall be increased or reduced accordingly.

The regulations also apply if facilities for the care and nursing of relatives (e.g. nursing homes) are affected by closures.

What should be considered when applying for a leave of absence?

The exemption from service must be submitted to the personnel department using the linked form. It also can be taken by single hours. The maximum number of hours is calculated as follows: average daily working time * 34/68 days. It is also possible to combine home office and hourly time off work so that there are no minus hours for a working day.

9. My workplace is essentially not suitable for working from home. Can my superior assign me to work in the office without any restrictions? Eintrag erweitern

Work duties that cannot be performed at home must be performed on site in compliance with the currently applicable hygiene regulations (see hygiene framework plan [pdf, 405 kb] (German only)).

If necessary, arrangements can be made by the superior to stagger or otherwise regulate the attendance. Shift work in the evenings and over the weekend is voluntary, if it is not usual in "normal operations".

Questions about business trips

1. What regulations currently apply to business trips? Eintrag erweitern

If you are currently planning a business trip, please check whether it is imperative and cannot be delayed, and if possible, prefer alternative forms of communication (video conference etc.). If you still have to travel, you should always prefer to cancellable bookings of travel funds. If possible, participation fees for congresses etc. should also be able to be canceled. If this is not possible, short-term bookings are preferred.

Please inform yourself before starting the trip about the current situation in the travel area (e.g. travel warnings from the Federal Foreign Office, risk warnings from the Robert Koch Institute) and the consequences of the trip when you return to Thuringia or Jena (possibly quarantine and other obligations according to the applicable regulations of the state and general decrees of the city of Jena).

Please do not make any bookings or reservations that will result in costs before the final approval of your business trip application, as these are non-refundable if the business travel application is being rejected.

Domestic business trips within the Federal Republic of Germany can be carried out again under the mentioned general conditions.

Business trips abroad can also be undertaken under the general conditions mentioned. If you wish to travel to a country currently classified by the RKI as a risk area (virus variant areas or high risk areas, German only), please note in addition that these trips may only be undertaken if you are able to fully perform your official duties from home in the event of a quarantine order upon your return. Travellers should nevertheless apply high standards to the necessity of travelling abroad, as changes in entry and exit regulations and possibilities, especially for non-European destinations, as well as short-term restrictions on international travel, especially air travel, are possible at any time.

If you are returning from one of the above-mentioned risk areas, it is imperative that you observe certain guidelines. Please refer to Question 2 under Other questions and to the website of the Federal Ministry of Health.

For business trips abroad, please contact the University Medical Center at the Universitätsklinikum for travel medical advice on vaccinations, protective measures and behavior (, Office: 03641 9-398101). In this case, the superiors are obliged to take appropriate precautions for the travelers.

2. What if travel arrangements have already been booked but the trip cannot be made? Eintrag erweitern

Please check whether you can cancel your trip. Deutsche Bahn is offering a full refund to travellers who have booked travels to risk areas or whose event was cancelled due to the coronavirus.

If a cancellation is not possible:

In general, any costs already accrued in the planning of a trip can be regularly claimed in the QISRKA portal—provided that the cancellation is not due to the traveller and that there is an approved business trip request in the travel management system. Please attach correspondence and notes proving that you tried to cancel the bookings made until then.

Other questions

1. What provisions apply to visitors from abroad? Eintrag erweitern

If you have any questions about the arrival or stay of guests from abroad, please contact your host department or the visiting department in the international office ( Gastwissenschaftler/innen).

Doctoral students / visiting doctoral students should contact the Graduate Academy en.

2. What do I have to consider when returning from abroad? Eintrag erweitern

Since 1 August 2021, all persons entering the Federal Republic of Germany are obliged to have proof of non-existence of infection with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus (proof of vaccination, test, recovery) when entering the Federal Republic of Germany; regardless of whether or not they have been in a high-risk area or virus variant area.

In addition, when entering the Federal Republic of Germany – after a stay in a foreign risk area (high-risk or virus variant area) according to the publication of the RKI – there are special obligations to provide certificates and an obligation to quarantine.

Furthermore, people entering Germany from the above-mentioned risk areas must register prior to their arrival in Germany. Further information on this can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of Health.

You can find an overview of which documents must be presented upon entry and which quarantine regulations apply here.

At the University of Jena, there are no special regulations for returning from abroad that go beyond those of the federal and state governments. Please inform yourself about the regulations currently applicable for your federal state and place of residence.

Regulation for Thuringia under: (German only)

Generally applicable federal regulations under:

3. For commuters: How can I prove my employment at the University of Jena? Eintrag erweitern

For commuters who need proof of their employment due to the Corona Protection Ordinance of their place of residence, the Thoska is valid as the University's work ID card. Employees who do not yet have a Thoska can have one issued at short notice at the Thoska office en.

4. What is the policy on annual leave? Eintrag erweitern

Annual leave shall be planned and taken in full as usual. The remaining leave from the previous year must be taken by 30 September, as before, in accordance with the tariff regulations. The previous statutory and tariff provisions apply unchanged, so that a maximum of ten days of leave (additional leave beyond the statutory minimum leave according to the tariff) can be carried over into the next year.

General information on leave can be found in the "Merkblatt Urlaub" (German only) in the HanFRIED administration manual.

5. What services are provided by the university sports department for employees?? Eintrag erweitern

All details about the programme, registration, procedure, etc. can be found on the homepage of the university sports department en.

Digital Active Break and Online Sports Programme

Free digital and activating breaks ("Digital Active Break", DAB for short) are offered for students and employees of the University of Jena. They offer activities for activation, relaxation and concentration. There is something for every break duration and motivation.

You have the option of taking part in live courses in the "PausenExpress", using the activating short videos or one of the many other formats such as online games, PDF workouts and "AktivPowerPoints".

In addition, the university sports department offers an online programme.

6. I am a civil servant. Will I be reimbursed for Corona tests by the state aid? Eintrag erweitern

Medically necessary Corona tests are covered by eligibility. Other Corona tests are not eligible. You can find the specific details here [pdf, 285 kb] (German only).

If you have any further questions on the eligibility of expenses, please contact the aid office at the Thuringian State Office of Finance (German only).

7. How are employment contracts signed if office hours do not take place until further notice? Eintrag erweitern

The contract is always concluded by sending the relevant documents so that direct contact is avoided for your protection and also for the protection of the employees in the HR department.

You will receive more detailed information in advance by e-mail. Therefore, please check your e-mails regularly.

Should a signing of the employment contract take place on site after prior arrangement of an appointment, the 3-G rule applies for entering the main university building.

8. How do I obtain a home office certificate for submission to the tax office? Eintrag erweitern

For employees who work from home but do not have a tax-deductible office, the Annual Tax Act 2020 introduced a "home office flat rate" for a limited period of time for the years 2020 and 2021.

It should be noted that there is no statutory regulation as to whether and how corresponding proof must be provided. According to the legislator, the regulation on the home office flat rate should be easy to apply. It follows that an employer's certificate is not required. Therefore, it is recommended to issue the confirmation only when specifically requested by the tax office.

The concrete individual scope of work from home can only be determined within the institution, as a rule by the direct superior. To ensure that this is done uniformly, the HR department provides this sample [docx, 260 kb] (German only).

9. How can I make an appointment for vaccination? Eintrag erweitern

You can receive the Corona vaccination or a booster vaccination either in a GP practice, in a vaccination centre or at vaccination campaigns.

10. Where can I find more information? Eintrag erweitern

Information on the coronavirus for the professional public is available at the Robert Koch Institute.

Information for citizens, including the so-called AHA+L rules, information on vaccination and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), can be found at (BZgA – Federal Centre for Health Education, German only) and (BMG – Federal Ministry of Health).

Hotlines for citizens are offered by the BMG, the Independent Patient Counselling Service Germany, the federal states and health insurance companies, among others.


Last update: 02.05.2022

Please check our blog for up-to-date news and information or visit our social media channels.

You are also welcome to contact us directly. We strive for a prompt answer.


Dezernat 5 - department for human resources
Universitätshauptgebäude, Raum 1.50
Fürstengraben 1
07743 Jena