Your questions, our answers
Image: Robert Rademacher
Why going abroad? Expand entry

Studying abroad is always associated with a good degree of initiative and personal responsibility. But those who are not afraid of the effort are almost always rewarded with unforgettable and formative experiences, impressions and experiences!

In addition to improving foreign language skills, a stay abroad is a professional and personal challenge, but also an enrichment. Life in a foreign country or culture expands and enriches your personal horizons and opens new paths. The job-qualifying aspect generally plays an equally important role as does the acquisition of additional technical qualifications that level professional success.

How can I apply? Expand entry

There are basically the following options for organizing studies abroad:

  1. Participation in exchange programmes of the FSU: As part of the ERASMUS + programme of the European Union, the FSU arranges numerous study places abroad. However, these places are specific to the subject and country; You can get specific information here. Also through exchange programmes in other regions, e.g. You can find information on Asia, North America, South America or Eastern Europe here.
  2. Independent application at the desired university abroad: After requesting the relevant application documents, you can apply to the foreign university in the correct form and on time. At the same time, you take care of the financing. This requires that you have informed yourself about the higher education system in the host country, about courses and admission procedures. The country study guides of the DAAD are helpful here, detailed information about various universities is available on the Internet.
  3. Applying for a scholarship to an intermediary organization: There are organizations that provide a place to study if the scholarship application is successful. This is the case with some DAAD programmes, but also with the Fulbright Commission (USA grants). Most scholarship programmes, however, require that you prepare your stay abroad yourself. A list of such organizations can be found in the DAAD's annual brochure "Studies, Research, Teaching Abroad: Funding Opportunities for Germans" (available from the DAAD).
When can I go abroad? Expand entry

The best time to go abroad for a longer stay is usually the 5th and / or 6th semester in undergraduate courses, or the 2nd and 3rd master semesters. It should always be borne in mind that you have to go back to everyday German studies after your stay abroad. This applies in particular to pending exams.

If, like most students, you would like to spend part of your studies abroad (one or two semesters), you should first start studying in Germany and only go abroad after you have gained a rough overview of your field, i.e. after the first two years of study. An advanced or advanced study abroad is also possible after completing a degree at a German university.

When can I apply? Expand entry

You can find the application deadlines for studying abroad in Europe as part of the ERASMUS + programme at Information about the ERASMUS+ application.

For study visits worldwide, the application deadlines vary depending on the partner countries. Find all information about it here.

The application modalities for programmes for internships abroad are listed here.

Regarding the financial support for a stay abroad, it is worth visiting the page for funding opportunities for a stay abroad. Here you will also find the deadlines for applying for any scholarships, grants, etc.

Where can I go to? Expand entry

In principle, you can go anywhere. You can find all exchange places in Europe in the ERASMUS + programme here. All FSU partner universities worldwide are listed here. If your preferred country is not among them, you can also choose alternative ways to go abroad.You can find information on this at other forms of stay abroad

How long can I go abroad? Expand entry

Most programmes stipulate a minimum and a maximum length of stay abroad. In general, it is possible to study abroad for 1 or 2 semesters, depending on the programme and the capacities. The decision about the duration of the stay abroad is also determined in part by the host country's higher education system (semester vs. trimester). All of this should be considered when planning.

In the case of scholarships, in most cases you apply for specific periods, i.e. semester or annual grants, e.g. 1 or 2 semesters. Special programmes, such as for the preparation of theses, are usually limited to a certain number of months.

Where do I receive Information? Expand entry

The website of the International Office of the FSU offers a first overview of study opportunities abroad. There you will find both an overview of the university exchange programmes and answers to general questions about studying abroad/ internships.

It is also advisable to consult the pages of the various scholarship organizations such as the DAAD, Fulbright Commission and the BAföG pages of the BMBF. In addition to the DAAD scholarship programmes, the DAAD website also provides general information on studying abroad as well as links to and references to other organizations.

What will this cost me? Expand entry

The cost of a stay abroad differs depending on the country and duration of the study stay. However, they should not be underestimated in any case, since studying abroad will in most cases be significantly more expensive than the costs in Germany. Not only are living expenses and travel expenses borne, but tuition fees and additional health insurance are often also to be paid. When you decide to go abroad, you should also think about your financing options at the same time.

Within the usual exchange programmes, students usually do not have to pay any tuition fees at the foreign university. Depending on the programme, you can also apply for grants and scholarships (e.g. PROMOS, DAAD, Fulbright). Do not wait until you are accepted for a study place or similar, as it will be too late to apply for certain scholarships. In addition to the options mentioned, other financing options are also the BaföG abroad or the education loan. Self-financing is also conceivable.

Important!!! Take care of the financing in good time, at least 15 months before your stay abroad.

Do I need special language skills? Expand entry

Most exchange programmes as well as the scholarship programmes require students to have knowledge of the respective national language. These must either be proven before the start of the stay abroad or even be available when you apply.

In some cases, especially for studying overseas, language tests (TOEFL; IELTS) are necessary, which usually have to be submitted later or at the latest when applying to the foreign university. These language tests are usually chargeable.

Within the ERASMUS + programme, proof of a B1 or B2 level (CERF) of the respective national language or in English is sufficient, as many European partner universities offer a wide range of English-language courses. The responsible ERASMUS + coordinators of the faculties and departments will provide more information.

Will my study achievements abroad be recognized in Germany? Expand entry

The type and scope of the recognition of the academic achievements at the FSU Jena depend essentially on the type of stay abroad. In principle, it should be borne in mind that recognition in state courses as well as in strictly organized courses can be more difficult. However, this does not have to be the rule. For a smooth recognition, a detailed consultation with the responsible persons in the institute / faculty about your desired course choice before departure is necessary (learning agreement).

The relevant examination offices, in cooperation with the persons responsible in the institute / faculty of the German home university, take credit for courses completed abroad.

If the recognition becomes problematic, always keep in mind: The study abroad brings along with the recognition of the certificates also invaluable experience and additional professional qualifications!

Do I have to take out health insurance? Expand entry

Adequate health insurance coverage is essential. German statutory health insurers, replacement and private health insurers do not provide reimbursement of medical expenses incurred abroad as part of normal insurance protection. (Exception: social security agreements within the EU). Whether additional insurance from your health insurance company, private international health insurance or insurance offered by a foreign university is cheap can often only be determined by comparing all offers.

Helpful information can be found in the DAAD country study guides.

Do I need an entry or residence permit? Expand entry

For many countries outside of Europe you need an entry, study or residence permit. In any case, you must obtain this yourself from the responsible consulate before you enter the country. Please note that longer waiting and processing times require timely application.