students sit in a seminar

Bachelor, Diplom, State Examination, Teacher Training

Information for international applicants about undergraduate application
students sit in a seminar
Image: Christoph Worsch (University of Jena)

The following information only applies to applicants of foreign nationality and without German Abitur.

Deutsche Bewerber/innen oder Bildungsinländer/innen informieren sich bitte  hier de.

Study programmes

The University of Jena offers more than 200 study programmes (subjects), 146 of which are undergraduate programmes. Please see the detailed descriptions of each programme in our data base de. Most undergraduate programmes start in the winter semester only.

If you wish to pursue a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), you must choose two subjects (major, Kernfach, + minor, Ergänzungsfach).

Some programmes have admission restrictions, because there is only a limited number of places available (NC, numerus clausus). The admission decision is based on the marks of the secondary school certificate, if it is equivalent to the German Abitur (see Admission requirements de). If it is not equivalent, the mark will be calculated: 50% counts the secondary school certificate, 50% the marks of your first undergrauate studies or Final Exam (Feststellungsprüfung) at the Study College. If you have earned an academic degree already, this mark counts alone.

Programmes with Germany-wide admission restriction:

  • Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy 

First semester study places in Dentistry, Medicine and Pharmacy are avalibale in winter semesters only. There are many international applicants for these study places every year. Please read our important information on the admission process (Vergabeverfahren)pdf, 168 kb · deat the University of Jena carefully before starting your application.

Programmes with local admission restriction: 

  • Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.): Biochemistry/Molecular Biology; Biology; Nutrition; Psychology
  • Bachelor of Arts (B.A.):Communication Science (major and minor)
  • Teacher Training Gymnasien or Regelschule: Biology

Admission requirements

Please check whether you already hold the university entrance qualification required to study in Germany. You can use the DAADExternal link or anabinExternal link databases to check whether your foreign educational qualifications are recognized in Germany.

If you do not hold an equivalent university entrance qualification yet, you will have to take the assessment test (FSP) at the preparatory college (Studienkolleg) before starting your degree programme. You can take a one-year preparation course at the Thuringian Studienkolleg in Nordhausen by applying at the International Office of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena.

An alternative could be our International Pathway Programme, if you already have the required knowledge of German.

Applicants with German citizenship or a German university entrance qualification (Abitur) can find more information on the general student information sites de.

Recognition of study achievements

Have you studied in an undergraduate programme already and wish to have the achievements accredited to apply for a higher programme semester? Please read carefully the following information. 

  • Higher semester in Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy

    You can apply to start your studies in a higher semester if you have attained academic achievements abroad or in a similar degree programme. You must attach the official transfer of credit notice (Anrechnungsbescheid) to your application. A State Examination Board for Academic Healthcare Professions (Landesprüfungsamt für akademische Heilberufe) issues this certificate. If you live in Germany, please contact the Landesprüfungsamt in your federal state. The State Examination Boards listed below are responsible for applicants who do not have a place of residence in Germany, yet:

    Recognition and accreditation of academic achievements in medicine and dentistry:

    Bezirksregierung Düsseldorf
    Landesprüfungsamt für Medizin, Psychotherapie und Pharmazie
    Postfach 300 865
    40408 Düsseldorf
    Germany link

    Recognition and accreditation of academic achievements in pharmacy:

    Hessisches Landesamt für Gesundheit und Pflege
    Postfach 120142
    64238 Darmstadt link

    Please also note:

    The admission restrictions for these degree programmes also apply to higher semesters of study. The recognition and accreditation of academic achievements does not guarantee you a place at the university. Applicants are selected during the admission process based on the requirements and places available.

    The University of Jena generally only accepts an application for a higher subject-related semester in Medicine, Pharmacy or Dentistry for the subject-related semester given in the transfer of credit notice or, exceptionally, for a subject-related semester deviating by a maximum of 1 (one) from the one given in the notice. This means that if you have a transfer of credit notice from the relevant state examination board for four semesters (four half-years), an application for the 5th or 4th subject-related semester is generally accepted. Please note that at the University of Jena you can only apply for the odd-numbered subject-related semesters (3rd, 5th, ...) in the winter semester and for the even-numbered subject-related semesters (2nd, 4th, ...) in the summer semester.

    Applicants who are already studying or have studied the same degree programme at another German university (change of location) can only apply for the next higher or consecutive subject-related semester of the same degree programme. This means that if you have already studied two subject-related semesters (two half-years) of Medicine at a German university, you can only apply for the 3rd subject-related semester in Medicine at the University of Jena, which (as mentioned above) is only offered/awarded in a winter semester.

    Whether you fulfil the subject-specific requirements of the University of Jena (=academic eligibility for the semester in question) will then be checked according to the correct semester applied for. In the overview at the end of this page, you will find the subject-specific requirements of the University of Jena for a placement in higher subject-related semesters in Medicine, Pharmacy, and Dentistry.

    Please find out which proof of academic achievements you must provide to the University for the chosen study semester before starting your application. Check whether you have already completed all the credits required by the University of Jena in your previous studies and that these have been recognized in the Anrechnungsbescheid issued by the Landesprüfungsamt, in order to make sure you fulfil the requirements for the semester for which you are applying.

  • Higher semester in all other study programmes

    Please contact the Examinations Office in charge of the relevant study programme. You may find its contact information in the description of the programme in our data base de.

Language requirements

For all undergraduate programmes you have to prove your knowledge of the German language at level DSH-2 (German Language Test for Admission to Higher Educationpdf, 61 kb · de). You cannot start your studies at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena if you have only passed the DSH-1 exam! The following certificates accredited by the German Rectors Conference will be recognized as equivalents:

  • Goethe Certificate C2 (GDS)
  • German Language Diploma Level II of the KMK (DSD II)
  • TestDaF, at least TDN 4 in all four parts of the examination
  • telc Certificate C1 German for Higher Education (at least grade "satisfactory")
  • German exam as part of the assessment test at a Studienkolleg

If you apply for the 1st semester in Dentistry, Medicine, or Pharmacy, you have to prove your knowledge of the German language at level DSH-2 (German Language Test for Admission to Higher Educationpdf, 61 kb · de) at the moment of application.

If you apply for a higher semester in Dentistry, Medicine, or Pharmacy, you may submit your language certificate until 1 March or 1 September.

If you apply for any other programme and are yet to take the DSH-2 exam, you can request conditional admission onto a degree programme. You then must provide proof of participation in a German course, where the exam taken is at post-intermediate level (C1). This conditional admission will only become effective if you submit the DSH-2 certificate (or an equivalent certificate) by the enrolment date. 

If you do not have sufficient knowledge of German yet, the Friedrich Schiller University Jena offers you a preparatory language course for the DSH exam. To attend the course, your German knowledge must be at least on level B1.

Required documents

  1. Scan all documents mentioned below and save them as a multilateral PDF file under specific names.
  2. Have all documents at hand when filling in the online application, because you will need to insert data from them.
  • University entrance qualification:
    • a certified copy of your original school leaving certificate and university entrance examination (if applicable) with a sworn translation (into German or English)
    • a certified copy of your assessment test certificate (if you have completed a Studienkolleg in Germany)
  • Prior studies in degree-seeking programmes:
    • a certified copy of your original degree certificate or times of study with a sworn translation (into German or English)
    • a certified copy of the original transcript of records for your degree with a sworn translation (into German or English)
    • if applicable, certificate of recognition of study achievements (Anerkennungsbescheid)
  • Knowledge of the German language:
    • a certified copy of evidence of your German language proficiency (DSH-2 or equivalent; see our information on language requirements)
  • a CV (in tabular form)
  • Chinese, Indian and Vietnamese applicants: the original APS certificate issued by the Akademische Prüfstelle as proof of your academic achievements
  • If you are under the age of 18 years, you are required to submit a parental consent form [pdf 727KB]pdf, 727 kb · de.

Definition: certified copy

In Germany, all public bodies bearing an official seal can officially certify documents. This includes municipal administrations, district offices, and minor administrative authorities (e.g. local mayors, town administration, local registration offices etc.); it also includes courts and notaries. The culture department of the embassy of the country that issues a certificate can also provide official certifications.

Outside Germany: The following authorities are authorized to issue official certifications: the Diplomatic Missions of the Federal Republic of Germany and the authorities and notaries authorized to issue official certifications in their respective countries. The original stamp and signature of the certifying person must be provided.

Definition: sworn translation

Certificates must always be translated by an official body, e.g. the issuing institution or a sworn translator. Attestations made by non-certified translators will not be accepted.

Application process, portal, and period

  • Application period for the summer semester: 1 December to 15 January (only few programmes)
  • Application period for the winter semester: 1 May to 15 July
  1. Register at the online application portalExternal link. Save your login and password. This enables you to use the online platform later without having to re-register. 
  2. Complete the online application and upload all required documents.
  3. You will be able to check the status of your application in the portal by entering your username  and password.
  4. Please regularly check your emails for new messages regarding your application.
  5. The University will notify you about your admission or rejection by email within a week, in programmes with restricted admission around mid-August.
  6. If you receive an admission letter, it will include further instructions.
  7. If your application in programmes with local restriction is rejected, you may still take part in the lotteryExternal link.

Further important steps

Please see the information about the following topics

  • what to do after receiving an admission letter
  • housing / room search (apply by 15.1./15.7.)
  • visa application
  • enrolment

 Please find all details at start studying.

Have you got any more questions?

You can find more information on visa, health insurance, costs, services, and many other details in our FAQ.


You can find information on master’s degrees in our database of degree programmes de.

If you would like to do a doctorate, please request information from the Graduate Academy.

If you are coming to Jena for a short-term study visit, please read the information for exchange students.


Do you still have questions? Please send us an email to

For a personal councelling, please get in touch with Cornelia Dwars or Laura Kaden, Team International Students at the International Office.