guest stay with Erasmus+ worldwide

Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility for guest students

Scholarships for international students from selected partner universities
guest stay with Erasmus+ worldwide
Image: Britta Salheiser (Universität Jena)

Students and doctoral candidates from our partner universities can do a study exchange with an attractive grant from the Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility programme. Find out whether your home university is part of the programme and how you can apply.

  • Participating partner universities


    • Yerevan State University


    • Ivane Javakhishvili Tblisi State
    • Ilia State University
    • Akaki Tsereteli State University


    • Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune
    • Chandigarh University


    • Hebrew University of Jerusalem
    • University of Haifa
    • Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
    • Technion – Israel Institute of Technology
    • Tel Aviv University


    • Chiba University


    • University of Montreal
    • University of Waterloo


    • Chonnam National University
    • Chung-Ang University

    Republik of Moldova

    • State University of Moldova
    • Academy of Economic Studies of Moldova


    • Kiev Polytechnical Institute (KPI)
    • National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy
    • National Academy of Sciences of the Ukraine, Institute of Mathematics
    • Chernivitsi National University Yuriy Fedkovych
    • Ivan Franko National University


    • The University of Rhode Island
    • University of California, Berkeley
  • Opportunities to study in Jena

    Bachelor’s and master’s students can choose from scheduled courses in all subjects (apart from medicine, pharmacy, and dentistry). The language of instruction is usually German. Only some courses in bachelor’s programmes and master’s programmes are taught in English. This is particularly the case in natural sciences, economics, in business administration, and in English and American studies). Exchange students should acquire 30 ECTS per semester. See here for more information on credits and courses, refer to: Guest Studies.

    Doctoral candidates who want to do research related to their doctoral thesis project need a supervisor at the host institution. They must agree a working plan with their supervisors before their arrival, please see the details at Nominations and Applications.

  • Application and Requirements

    You should submit your application to your home university. Please enquire about terms and deadlines at your home university first. Afterwards, your university will send your application to our university. Finally, the Friedrich Schiller University Jena selects grant holders from among all applicants and inform the nominees about the next steps in the process.

    Requirements and selection criteria:

    • at least one year of studies completed
    • very good academic achievements (temporary/final Transcript of Records)
    • B2 German proficiency (Advanced II) required for the lessons in German; study-related language courses are offered at our Language Centre

    Your home university will be informed about these selection criteria.

  • Grants

    Students in bachelor’s and master’s programmes:

    • 3 - 4 months
    • €850/month (+ top-up if applicable)
    • travel allowance depending on the country of the partner institution

    Doctoral candidates:

    • 3 - 4 months
    • €850/month (+ top-up if applicable)
    • travel allowance depending on the country of the partner institution

    Students receive their grant in monthly instalments after their arrival. Further information will be given after their arrival in Jena.

  • FAQ about staying in Jena

    When do I have to arrive?

    You have to arrive by the first day of your exchange period. You can find the exact date in the letter of admission you received earlier. If you arrive too late, your grant will be reduced.

    How long do I have to stay in Jena?

    Bachelor and Master students must stay for the agreed full 4 months (research students: 3 months). Doctoral students, depending on the scholarship contract, 3 - 4 full months. In case of early departure the scholarship will be reduced.

    When do I have to choose my courses (Learning Agreement)?

    You must complete your Learning Agreement during the application process. You should choose courses from the current course catalogue which is possible without registration (even within the catalogue from the previous semester). The current course catalogue is usually published online in mid-February or August, respectively. After your arrival, you must complete a new, up-to-date Learning Agreement.

    For both of the Learning Agreements you should choose enough courses to get at least 30 ECTS credits.

    If necessary, please select your subject-specific courses from among the extracurricular language courses offered by the University’s Language CentreExternal link.

    When should I sign my Grant Agreement?

    You will receive a Grant Agreement at the International Office upon your arrival.

    How and when do I receive my grant?

    You will receive your grant after signing your Grant Agreement. Then you are about to receive your first two monthly instalments as a personal cheque that you can deposit at your bank. The current semester fee, incl. semester ticketExternal link, will be automatically deducted from your first monthly instalment. All subsequent instalments will be transferred to your German bank account.

    What do I have to consider before leaving?

    • Do not leave before the end of your grant period (see above) or after the expiry date of your residence permit.
    • Speak to the teaching staff of your courses to find out examination dates. Give them your course card, so that they can document your achievements (grades/ECTS). Make them aware that you need to know your results as soon as possible, so that they can be recognized by your home university.
    • Terminate your enrolment at the International OfficeExternal link (de-registration formpdf, 133 kb · de), your registration at the local registration office, your German bank account, health insurance, and you accommodation (halls of residence/private accommodation).

Do you have any further questions? Then do not hesitate to contact Ms Franziska Bröckl from the International Office would be glad to help you.