Chemistry of Materials
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent
For this master's programme you need a subject-specific undergraduate degree (minimum 6 semesters/180 ECTS-Credits) or an equivalent degree in Chemistry, Physics, Chemical Engineering or related fields of science that contains modules of at least 60 credits (ECTS) in Chemistry or Physics.
In specific cases, admission on condition(s) might be granted.
The overall grade (CGPA) of the bachelor's degree must be GOOD or better (German and US systems).
- Language requirements
This master's programme requires the following language proficiency:
- English language proficiency at level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
- Registration form
Once you finish an online application via the application portal OLAS, this document will be generated under the filename "Application for admission at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena to the masters programme". You need to print out this document, sign it, scan it and send it as PDF file of good quality within the application timeframe to the Master Service Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your CV should have a tabular form, containing key information on your school record and academic career.
- Motivation letter
A motivation letter should not exceed the size of two DIN A4-pages and normally, it should contain information on your motivation for taking up this course of studies. You should elaborate on the following essential questions:
- Why do you desire taking up this specific course of studies?
- What are - in your opinion - the main features that this course of studies excels in?
- Which features of this course have inspired your application?
- Why Jena?
- University entrance qualification certificate
Please upload at the online application system your university entrance certificate/school leaving certificate. Usually, this means the school graduation diploma (German "Abitur"), i.e. the diploma that makes you eligible for studies at an University or other institution for higher education. Be mindful of the fact that here, we do not need any University diploma but a High School diploma!
- Previous university degrees earned
All previous University degrees (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, etc.) if available before the application deadline - if not, please make a note of the anticipated date of issue of your degree certificate. Please upload your University degree or the most actual, detailed transcript of records/ mark sheet of all semesters available to you, should you not hold your degree certificate at the time of application. The main document is the degree/ transcript based on which you apply for the master programme.
- Detailed transcript of records
Detailed transcript of records/ mark sheet of your first, subject-specific University degree, with which you apply for the master's programme. This transcript MUST contain an overall cumulative grade point average or average mark.
- Proof of relevant work experience
Should you have obtained subject-specific work experience, you can upload corresponding certificates in order to support your application.
- Proof of subject-specific practical experience
Should you have obtained subject-specific practical experience (e.g. by internships etc.), you can upload corresponding certificates in order to support your application.
- Proof of language proficiency
You have to submit the following proofs of language proficiencies:
- Proof of proficiency in English (level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
- Translation of foreign/external application documents
Every mandatory application document from foreign/external countries must also be available in either English OR German translation. Such a translation has to be conducted by officially acknowledged/ sworn translators or translation offices.
- Proof of grading system
External/foreign degree certificates/ transcripts of records must contain information on the grading system used at the respective University.
- Certificate APS
Applicants with degrees from Mongolia, Vietnam or China must submit the original APS-certificate issued by the German Embassy.
- University entrance exam
Applicants from the following countries must submit a certificate of their university entrance examination/college entrance examination:
- Iran (College entrance examination certificate or certificate of pre-university course/year)
- Republic of Korea/South Korea: SAT (Scholastic Ability Test)
- People's Republic of China: College entrance examination certificate ("Gaokao")
Please direct your enquiries via Service Desk at www.uni-jena.de/service-msz.
Master Service Centre