- Study programmes without admission restriction: If you submit your application for enrolmentExternal link completely and in time, and if it is positively assessed, you are enrolled immediately. As a means of confirmation, you will receive the thoska cardExternal link (short for Thüringer Hochschul- und Studierendenwerkskarte)—your student ID—in time, but usually not earlier than six weeks before the beginning of the semester by post.
- Study programmes with admission restrictions: After applying for a study programme, you will receive a notification telling you whether you are admitted for the study programme or not. If you have received a positive answer, you confirm your place by enrollingExternal link at the University.
In Jena, the average cost of living is just under 700 euros per month. There are many possibilities to finance your studies, e.g. scholarships, the BAföG student loan, part-time jobs, study loans, and education funds.
Looking for a place to live
Where do you want to live—in a shared apartment, in your own flat, or rather in a dormitory? Browse through apartment advertisements. The earlier you start, the better, because the demand is usually quite high at the beginning of the semester.
For new students, the student services organization Studierendenwerk ThüringenExternal link is the most important point of contact. Here, affordable living spaces throughout Jena are available for are rent. The Studierendenwerk maintains almost 30 student residences all over Jena.
Semester dates and lecture period
Summer semester 2023:
Semester period: 1 April 2023 - 30 September 2023
Lecture period: 03 April 2023 - 07 July 2023
Preparation courses and placement tests
Our students start their studies with different levels of prior knowledge. That is why in a number of subjects there are courses to prepare students for their studies before the semester starts.
In the preparation courses, gaps in knowledge from students’ high school education will be remedied and existing knowledge refreshed. In addition, these courses provide an opportunity for new students to get to know the university and their new fellow students.
In a number of subjects involving languages, compulsory placement tests also take place before the semester starts.
You may have to register for both types of activity. If you have any questions, please contact the respective academic advisor. You can find the contact details in our course database.
Activate your student account / University login
As a student, you get a University account including:
- WiFi access via eduroamExternal link on the campus and in all institutes and faculties
- a University email account (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- access to your email inboxExternal link (https://webmail.uni-jena.deExternal link)
- access to computer pools
- access to your personal information in FriedolinExternal link
- online library services
To create a user account, you first have to registerExternal link. Only then can you make use of the IT services at the University.
Your login credentials consist of a username (a combination of letters and digits) and password. On the Service Portal, you need to accept the terms and conditions in order to be able to register. In addition, need to provide your name, including all first names, your date of birth, your matriculation number (six digits), and your PIN which you have received with your thoska card by mail.
Software for students
Students can obtain the software they need (e.g. Microsoft Office 365External link) via software licensesExternal link from campus and state contracts from the university data center. You can either choose from the range of existing licenses or apply for special licenses. This IT service is available to you with your enrollment and the activation of your university account through self-registration.
Tools for online teaching
- The University of Jena offers you the possibility to sign in to the video conferencing tool ZoomExternal link using your University login credentials. Zoom is currently the preferred solution for interactive web conferences (e.g. for working groups, seminars and practical courses). The University Computer Centre has preconfigured the privacy settings in Zoom. See here for more information on the use of ZoomExternal link (in German).
- In addition, the Writing Centre of the University Jena has published some tips for students on how to handle digital teaching well. Their tips can be found hereExternal link (in German).
- In order to support students of our University in participating in online lectures, the number of study spaces with internet access has been extended.
- Do you urgently need a laptop or tablet for your studies? Then take a look at the Laptop Donation Campaign.
Make use of help offers: advice and service
If you still have questions or if problems regarding the start of your studies suddenly arise, please contact our advisory and consultation services.
Registration of residence
After moving into your new apartment, you must register with the city within 14 days. Registration takes place at the registration office External link(Bürgerservice). You will need to bring your ID or passport and a certificate by your lessor confirming the tenancy. It is best to make an appointment onlineExternal link.
Get to know the city and the campus
Jena is a wonderful, active student city, surrounded by picturesque limestone rocks, which are perfect for hiking and climbing. In addition, the city located at the river Saale offers many recreational activities. Exploring the city is worthwhile!
You can also explore the University Main Building, the Main Library Building, or Jena’s beautiful landscape online with 360° tours, or go on a virtual discovery tour with an app.
Student ID (thoska card)
The thoska is a multifunctional chip card, which serves as your student ID and confirms that you are a student at the University of Jena. You can use it as library, copy and printing card. It also serves as an electronic wallet for paying your meals in canteens and cafeterias. You receive it by post together with your starter package.
Check the e-mail inbox of the university regularly
You can access your e-mail inbox at https://webmail.uni-jena.deExternal link. With your user name and password from your student account you can log in. Before the start of the semester, we will inform you regularly by e-mail about important information and dates for the upcoming semester.
Participate in the Orientation Days (STET)
We organize Orientation Days to make sure all new students quickly find their feet. You can get essential information about the organization of your studies, pick up some insider tips from experienced students enrolled on your study programme—and ideally meet fellow students.
Programme of the Orientation Days
Check out the offer of the University Sports Centre
More than 350 instructors usually offer 80 different kinds of sports and disciplines in more than 700 courses per week. Everybody will find something to their liking—no matter if you prefer well-known sports or if you want to try something new.
See here for the programme of the University Sports Centre de (in German only)
Online organization of studies / timetable
Students of the University of Jena organize their studies themselves via the online course management system Friedolin.External link The Faculty of Medicine is an exception to this; here, the system in use is DOSIS.External link Students of Pharmacy are asked to refer to fsr-pharmazie.uni-jena.deExternal link.
In Friedolin, you will find module descriptions, recommended study plansExternal link as well as the course catalogueExternal link for all bachelor’s, master’s, and teacher training study programmes. Enrolled students can organize their timetables via the ‘apply for modules’ / ‘schedule of classes’ menu, register for examinations, and view their grades.
Information and training videos
To help you find your way around Friedolin, we offer online information and training sessions.
- Video 1 - Introduction to FriedolinExternal link
- Video 2 - How to register for courses in FriedolinExternal link
- Video 3 - How to register for exames in FriedolinExternal link
- Video 4 - Certificates and personal data in FriedolinExternal link
- Video 5 - Additional helpful resourcesExternal link
In addition, there is a help centreExternal link in Friedolin where you can find an FAQ section submit an online inquiry.
Learning platform Moodle
The University of Jena also works with the learning platform Moodle (moodle.uni-jena.deExternal link). It supports studying, but also work in research projects and at chairs and other organizational units. The system is suitable for supplementing classroom teaching, for blended learning, for distance learning courses, as a knowledge store and as a communication and cooperation platform.
Details of your individual courses can be found in the course catalogExternal link.
Service desk for students
Some service facilities at the University Jena, such as the Student Service Centre, the Friedolin team or various examination offices, can be reached via a central service desk portal. Students can contact them directly there to make inquiries, clarify various issues or receive help on certain topics. This ticket system enables quick and easy communication.
Study spaces with internet access
In order to support students of our University in participating in online lectures, the number of study spaces with internet access has been extended.
Welcoming ceremony for new students
The welcoming ceremony for the winter semester 2022/23 will take place on 28 October at 14:00 in the Volkshaus of the city of Jena.
Accept assistance: extended introductory phase in your first year of study (eSTEP)
Beyond the first few weeks of your studies, there are numerous events and support offers to help you arrive at the University, adapt to your studies and, ultimately, advance.
If you have specific questions concerning courses and examinations, please always turn to the lecturers or module coordinators.
The “Guide for New Students” provides further important information on the start of your studies at the University of Jena. It is available onlineExternal link in advance.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9:00 to 12:20, Tuesday 14:00 to 18:00 and on Wednesday and Thursday from 14:00 to 16:00.