What is the DAAD Prize?
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) awards funds to universities each year as part of the DAAD Prize for outstanding academic achievements by international students. The award also includes prize money of €1,000 and can only be won by individual students. Candidates studying at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena wanting to apply must fulfil the following criteria:
- above-average academic achievements
- social commitment, in particular on an intercultural basis and preferably in Jena
- a foreign national
- obtained the secondary school leaving certificate abroad
- enrolled on a standard course at the University Jena (guest studies not eligible)
- currently in an advanced stage of their studies, i.e. at least in the second year of study within an undergraduate study programme/doctorate, or in the second semester of a master's programme, and still due to be enrolled until the end of October 2023
- where possible, are not scholarship holders of the DAAD or another German institution
Are you a suitable candidate? The application form is available from 11 April until 31 May 2023. Please send your complete application (application form + transcript of records + letter of reference) no later than by 31 May 2023 to email@example.com (date of receipt).
The commission responsible for granting study-related allowances will examine applications first and invite the most promising candidates to an interview (in June). The commission, chaired by the Vice-President for Learning and Teaching, is furthermore composed of four representatives of the faculties and one representative of the International Office.
The winner will be announced in one of the University’s news releases.
In 2022, the prize was awarded to Andriiana Raikova from Ukraine who actively supports other international students as a mentor and is organizing German language courses for refugees in which Ukrainian, Russian and German students teach together. Portraits of previous prize winners can be found hereExternal link.
If you have any questions or are looking for advice, please get in touch with Dr Britta Salheiser, Team International Students department of the International Office.