This programme is one of the essential parts of the »LIGHT, LIFE, LIBERTY – Connecting Visions« strategy of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena. It is funded by the university allowance provided by the excellence strategy of the German government and the federal states. The Welcome Point of the University is responsible for coordinating the University-wide call for nominations.
The aim of the programme is to increase the Friedrich Schiller University’s visibility on international scale and its appeal to top-level international researchers. The purpose of the programme is to promote the focal research areas and to establish and foster new fields of research. The programme allows lecturers from the University of Jena to invite excellent researchers from abroad in order to promote and intensify the scientific exchange and dialogue. In addition, it gives young postdocs and established scientists from abroad as well as members of the University of Jena the chance to drive scientific projects forward and establish international collaborations.
- What is the Jena Excellence Fellowship Programme?
The purpose of the fellowship programme is to promote the exchange and dialogue between scientists from abroad and scientists from the Friedrich Schiller University Jena and to intensify international collaborations. The programme is open to senior fellows and advanced postdocs who want to do research at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena. All professors of the University can nominate potential fellows. Every year, approximately four senior fellowships and four postdoctoral fellowships are awarded.
The Welcome Point of the University is responsible for coordinating the University-wide advertisement of the programme.
What does the fellowship programme comprise?
- monthly stipend of €4,600 for postdocs and €5,800 for senior fellows
- funding duration: four weeks to six months (can be extended to 12 months)
- fellows are provided with a monthly lump sum payment to cover material and accommodation costs and with an allowance for health and liability insurance
- travel allowance to cover the cost of one return journey to and from Jena
- monthly allowance of up to €300 for the hosting institution to cover project costs
- centrally organized welcome package for fellows (assistance in finding accommodation and placing children in schools and day care, tutoring service, language courses, organization of short visits to other German universities for networking, establishing contact and matching fellows with businesses in the region, family programme to discover the region)
- Funding schemes
- “Tandem” Fellowship for an established scientist working together with a postdoc
- “Klausur” Fellowship for a team of maximum four scientists from different countries
- “Impuls” Fellowship for a distinguished figure who plans and organizes high-profile events
- “Zukunfts” Fellowship to recruit new professors
- “Freiraum” Fellowship for carrying out a large-scale research project
- Nomination process
Nominations of foreign scientists of all disciplines can be submitted within the nomination portal of the Jena Excellence Fellowship Programme of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena at any time.
The selection committee will only consider nominations by professors or researchers of the Friedrich Schiller University that are supported by the respective institute.
Scientists may not apply directly, but have to be nominated.
After the submission of all required documents, the Research Committee selects the applicants twice a year—in spring (March) and autumn (October). The period between nomination and decision depends on the submission date and can be up to six months.
The nominees need to meet the following prerequisites:
Senior fellow: doctorate or comparable academic degree, and an internationally recognized scientific qualification, proven by achievements in the field of research (e.g. positive response to scientific publications or awards)
Postdoctoral fellow: doctorate or comparable academic degree obtained in the six years prior to the nomination, and an internationally recognized scientific qualification, proven by scientific publications in journals and/or by renowned publishers refereed according to international standards
Nominations for all fellowship versions are made by lecturers of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena. In the »Tandem« Fellowship, the nominated scientist can choose the postdoc to work with.
- Supporting documents to be submitted with the nomination
Supporting documents to be submitted within the nomination portal as a PDF file:
- brief synopsis of the nominee’s planned research project or concept for the lecture or conference programme; information on the strategic objective of the nomination as well as on the nominee’s planned involvement in the work of the hosting institution (maximum five pages)
- information on the nominee’s scientific career (including curriculum vitae)
- list of the five most important publications (in journals and by publishers refereed according to scientific standards)
- signed declaration of consent [pdf, 201 kb] de of the nominee
The nomination portal of the Jena Excellence Fellowship Programme
The nominations by professors or researchers of the Friedrich Schiller University can be submitted within the nomination portal of the Jena Excellence Fellowship Programme.
In order to log in to the nomination portal, you need to enter your university login credentials provided by the University Computer Centre and upload your nomination.
Before using the nomination portal, please see the call for nominations for information on the individual fellowship programmes and their required documents as a PDF file (max. 5 MB per supporting document; one PDF file per supporting document)
For a nomination, a signed declaration of consent from the nominee for the use of his/her data must also be uploaded to the portal. This document you will find here: