A student enters the university main building

International Pathway Programme

For international prospective students without a qualification directly entitling them to study in Germany
A student enters the university main building
Image: Daniel Hofmann

The following information only applies to applicants of foreign nationality and without German Abitur.

Deutsche Bewerber/innen oder Bildungsinländer/innen informieren sich bitte im Studienangebot de.

What is the International Pathway Programme?

Criteria for applicants

The International Pathway Programme is a form of entrance examination to higher education. It is aimed at international prospective students who meet the following requirements: 

  • You are interested in pursuing your first undergraduate degree in a study programme without admission restrictions offered at the University of Jena. In our range of study programmes, these are all courses without a numerus clausus (NC) procedure.
  • You do not yet hold a university entrance qualification for a German higher education institution (please verify below)
  • You completed the TestASExternal link aptitude test and got a very good result
  • You have sufficient German language skills to complete a study programme in German language. (Please refer to the information below).

If you do not yet meet the above requirements, you might consider joining the Thuringian preparatory college (Studienkolleg) in Nordhausen. There, you will take the assessment test and a German language test after one year of preparation. You can find all information here.

How does the International Pathway Programme work?

The international pathway programme allows you to prove your ability to study in the chosen study programme. You will study two semesters in your chosen study programme—like regular students. At the end of the two semesters, you must have earned at least 30 credit points (while regular students require 60 credit points). You have then passed the subject-specific entrance examination for studies at the University of Jena. After these first two semesters, you continue your studies as a regular student. Your standard period of study is automatically extended by one year.

If you do not acquire the 30 credit points in the two semesters or if you want to change your field of study, we will offer advice on the alternatives.

Please note that the entrance examination obtained through the Pathway Programme is subject-specific, which means that you may have to take a new entrance examination before changing to another study programme. The entrance examination is only valid for the University of Jena and cannot be used for other universities.


Admission requirements

  • You are not a German citizen.
  • You have a foreign university entrance qualification that is not equivalent to the German secondary school leaving certificate Abitur. Please check whether your foreign educational qualification is considered equivalent in Germany through the DAAD databaseExternal link or the anabin databaseExternal link.
  • You have completed the TestASExternal link aptitude test with a score of at least 90 points in the core test and at least 100 points in the subject-specific test. (The TestAS you have taken must correspond to your desired field of study.)

Language requirements

To be admitted to the International Pathway Programme, you have to prove that you have German language skills at the level of DSH-2 (German Language Test for Admission to Higher Education). Please note that the DSH-1 is not sufficient for admission to a study programme at Friedrich Schiller University Jena. Only the following DSH examinations accredited by the German Rectors' Conference are recognized as equivalent:

  • the Goethe-Zertifikat C2 (GDS)
  • the Deutsche Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz (DSD II)
  • the TestDaF, at least TDN 4 in all four parts of the examination
  • the Zertifikat telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule (at least grade "satisfactory")
  • a German language examination in the framework of an assessment test at a preparatory college (Studienkolleg)

If you still have to take the DSH-2 exam, you can apply for conditional admission onto the study programme. Anyone wishing to do so must provide proof of participation in German courses where the exam taken is at post-intermediate level (C1). This conditional admission will only become effective if the DSH-2 certificate (or an equivalent certificate) is submitted by the enrolment date. We recommend taking German courses at our Language Centre during your studies to further deepen and broaden your language competence.

You do not yet have sufficient language skills? Then please apply for admission to the preparatory college (Studienkolleg).

Technical requirements

We no longer accept paper applications. Please apply through our online application platform.


Remember your user name and password so that you can return to the online application platform at a later date.

Required documents and preparation for the application

  1. Scan all documents mentioned below and save them as PDF files under specific names.
  2. Have all documents at hand when filling in the online application, because you will need to insert data from them.
  • University entrance qualification:
    • a certified copy of your original school leaving certificate and university entrance examination (if taken) with a sworn translation (into German or English)
  • Prior study programme:
    • a certified copy of your original degree certificate or times of study with a sworn translation (into German or English)
    • a certified copy of the original transcript of records for your degree with a sworn translation (into German or English)
  • the TestAS certificate (see our information on admission requirements)
  • Knowledge of the German language:
    • a certified copy of evidence of your German language proficiency (see our information on language requirements)
  • a CV (in tabular format)
  • Chinese, Indian and Vietnamese applicants: the original the certificate issued by the Akademische Prüfstelle as proof of your academic achievements
  • If you are a minor (under the age of 18), please also submit a parental consent [pdf, 746 kb]pdf, 746 kb · de.
Definition: certified copy

In Germany, all public bodies bearing an official seal can officially certify documents. This includes municipal administrations, district offices and minor administrative authorities (e.g. local mayors, town administration, local registration offices), courts and notaries. In addition, the section for cultural affairs of the Embassy of the country where the certificate was issued can provide official certifications / legal authentications.

Outside Germany, the following authorities are authorized to issue official certifications: the Diplomatic Missions of the Federal Republic of Germany and the authorities and notaries authorized to issue official certifications in the respective countries. You must present the original seal and signature of the person issuing the official certification / legal authentication, not a copy.

Definition: sworn translation

Certificates must always be translated by an official body, e.g. the issuing institution or a sworn translator. Attestations made by a translator who is not a sworn translator will not be accepted.

Application process, period and portal

Please note that while all study programmes offered at the University can be started in the winter semester, the range of programmes that can be started in the summer semester is limited.

  • Application period for the summer semester: 15 October to 15 January
  • Application period for the winter semester: 1 May to 15 July
  1. Complete the online application and upload all required documents.
  2. You will be able to check the status of your application in the portal by entering your username and password.
  3. Please regularly check your emails for new messages regarding your application.
  4. If you receive a letter of admission, it will include further instructions.

Here, you can find the application portal for undergraduate programmes without admission restrictions.External link

back to the top


Please apply for a room at the student services organization Studierendenwerk ThüringenExternal link at the same time as you apply for a study place (deadline: 15 July for the winter semester / 15 January for the summer semester). Looking for a room on the private housing market is much more difficult.

Please also see #3 at the FAQ.

Individual Study Plan: Support and Guidance

Students of the International Pathway Programme should not miss the Study Orientation Days.

Seek the guidance and advice of your respective Study Programme Advisory Person (contact information in the programme description) actively to plan your studies during the first two semesters. Note that the model module plan in Friedolin is designed for regular studies, not the Pathway Programme.

We also recommend registering for the Academic Mentoring Programme for international students.

Do you have further questions?

You can find more information on visa, health insurance, costs, services, and many other details in our FAQs.


For information on master’s programmes offered at the University, please see the range of study programmes de.

If you would like to do a doctorate, please request information from the Graduate Academy de.

If you are coming to Jena for a short-term study visit, please read the information for guest students de.


Do you still have questions? Please get in touch with Ms Cornelia Dwars, Team International Students de at the International Office.