- Undergraduate degree or equivalent
For this master's programme you need a subject-specific undergraduate degree (bachelor's degree of equivalent) in one of the related fields of science of Applied Ethics, Philosophy, Political Science or Sociology with a grade of 1.8 (German System) or better (Applicants with grades between 1.9 and 2.5 might be admitted when CV and motivational letter show a particular eligibility for the programme). In some cases, selection interviews might be conducted.
The overall grade (CGPA) of the bachelor's degree must be 1.8 or better (German and US systems).
- Language requirements
This master's programme requires the following language proficiency:
- English language proficiency at level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- international applicants: German language proficiency at minimum level DSH-2 (or a recognised equivalent)
- Registration form
Once you finish an online application via the application portal OLAS, this document will be generated under the filename "Application for admission at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena to the masters programme". You need to print out this document, sign it, scan it and send it as PDF file of good quality within the application timeframe to the Master Service Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your CV should have a tabular form, containing key information on your school record and academic career.
- Motivation letter
A motivation letter should not exceed the size of two DIN A4-pages and normally, it should contain information on your motivation for taking up this course of studies. You should elaborate on the following essential questions:
- Why do you desire taking up this specific course of studies?
- What are - in your opinion - the main features that this course of studies excels in?
- Which features of this course have inspired your application?
- Why Jena?
- University entrance qualification certificate
Please upload at the online application system your university entrance certificate/school leaving certificate. Usually, this means the school graduation diploma (German "Abitur"), i.e. the diploma that makes you eligible for studies at an University or other institution for higher education. Be mindful of the fact that here, we do not need any University diploma but a High School diploma!
- Previous university degrees earned
All previous University degrees (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, etc.) if available before the application deadline - if not, please make a note of the anticipated date of issue of your degree certificate. Please upload your University degree or the most actual, detailed transcript of records/ mark sheet of all semesters available to you, should you not hold your degree certificate at the time of application. The main document is the degree/ transcript based on which you apply for the master programme.
- Detailed transcript of records
Detailed transcript of records/ mark sheet of your first, subject-specific University degree, with which you apply for the master's programme. This transcript MUST contain an overall cumulative grade point average or average mark.
- Proof of relevant work experience
Should you have obtained subject-specific work experience, you can upload corresponding certificates in order to support your application.
- Proof of subject-specific practical experience
Should you have obtained subject-specific practical experience (e.g. by internships etc.), you can upload corresponding certificates in order to support your application.
- Proof of language proficiency
You have to submit the following proof of language proficiency:
- English language proficiency at level B1 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), proved by an official certificate or via the German High School diploma (Abitur)
- Proof of German language proficiency
For German taught master's programmes, i.e. programmes with (predominantly) German as language of instruction, a sufficient German language proficiency proof is mandatory. Please see the information on the language requirements for the master's programme of your interest on the corresponding website.
The Friedrich Schiller University Jena accepts the following certificates as German language proficiency proof exclusively:
- the Goethe-Zertifikat C2 (GDS),
- the Deutsche Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz (DSD II),
- the TestDaF, minimum TDN 4 in all four parts of the examination,
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH), min. level 2 (= DSH-2),
- Certificate telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule,
- a German language examination in the framework of an assessment test at a preparatory college.
Please note: If you do not have the required mandatory German language proficiency proof at the time of applying, you may only apply if you can provide a certificate attesting your German language skills at least at level B2 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) as well as a confirmation that you have either registered for the DSH examination, the TestDaF or an equivalent examination or that you have sat it and are going to receive the results before the end of the current semester.
There is also the possibility to apply for the (chargeable) "German Language Course Preparing for the German Language Examination (DSH)" at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena. Please note: Prerequisites for the application for the preparatory course are language skills at least at the certificate level B1 / GER (e.g. Goethe-Zertifikat B1, TestDaF at least 4x3 and/or 800 teaching units from a recognized language school). For detailed information on the application and further information, please visit the website of the International Office or contact the International Office directly via Mail.
Shortly before taking the DSH-2-Examination or after successfully passing it, you are welcome to apply for a German taught master's programme!
The following applicants are exempted from providing proof of their German language skills:
- Applicants, who have obtained a German taught bachelor's degree within one of the following countries: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein. This applies only to degrees that were awarded by a university in the relevant country (no satellite campuses or international branch campuses in other countries, no correspondence course degrees, no joint- or double-degrees with institutions in other countries);
- Holders of a German, Austrian or Swiss (from school where the language of instruction is German) university entrance qualification.
- Translation of foreign/external application documents
Every mandatory application document from foreign/external countries must also be available in either English OR German translation. Such a translation has to be conducted by officially acknowledged/ sworn translators or translation offices.
- Proof of grading system
External/foreign degree certificates/ transcripts of records must contain information on the grading system (= description of the maximum grade possible and the minimum passing grade) used at the respective University.
- Certificate APS
Applicants with degrees from India, Vietnam or China must submit the original APS-certificate issued by the German Embassy.
- University entrance exam
Applicants from the following countries must submit a certificate of their university entrance examination/college entrance examination:
- Iran (College entrance examination certificate or certificate of pre-university course/year)
- Republic of Korea/South Korea: SAT (Scholastic Ability Test)
- People's Republic of China: College entrance examination certificate ("Gaokao")
Please direct your enquiries via Service Desk at www.uni-jena.de/service-msz.
Master Service Centre