For German taught master's programmes, i.e. programmes with (predominantly) German as language of instruction, a sufficient German language proficiency proof is mandatory. Please see the information on the language requirements for the master's programme of your interest on the corresponding website.
The Friedrich Schiller University Jena accepts the following certificates as German language proficiency proof exclusively:
- the Goethe-Zertifikat C2 (GDS),
- the Deutsche Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz (DSD II),
- the TestDaF, minimum TDN 4 in all four parts of the examination,
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH), min. level 2 (= DSH-2),
- Certificate telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule (min. level "befriedigend"),
- a German language examination in the framework of an assessment test at a preparatory college.
Please note: If you do not have the required mandatory German language proficiency proof at the time of applying, you may only apply if you can provide a certificate attesting your German language skills at least at level B2 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) as well as a confirmation that you have either registered for the DSH examination, the TestDaF or an equivalent examination or that you have sat it and are going to receive the results before the end of the current semester.
There is also the possibility to apply for the (chargeable) "German Language Course Preparing for the German Language Examination (DSH)" at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena. Please note: Prerequisites for the application for the preparatory course are language skills at least at the certificate level B1 / GER (e.g. Goethe-Zertifikat B1, TestDaF at least 4x3 and/or 800 teaching units from a recognized language school). For detailed information on the application and further information, please visit the website of the International Office or contact the International Office directly via Mail.
Shortly before taking the DSH-2-Examination or after successfully passing it, you are welcome to apply for a German taught master's programme!
The following applicants are exempted from providing proof of their German language skills:
- Applicants, who have obtained a German taught bachelor's degree within one of the following countries: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein. This applies only to degrees that were awarded by a university in the relevant country (no satellite campuses or international branch campuses in other countries, no correspondence course degrees, no joint- or double-degrees with institutions in other countries);
- Holders of a German, Austrian or Swiss (from school where the language of instruction is German) university entrance qualification.