insight in the operating room

State examination in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy (1st semester)

Information for international applicants
insight in the operating room
Image: Jan-Peter Kasper/FSU

The following information only applies to applicants of foreign nationality and without German Abitur.

Deutsche Bewerber/innen oder Bildungsinländer/innen informieren sich bitte im Studienangebot de.

Admission requirements

Please check whether you already hold the university entrance qualification required to study in Germany. You can use the DAADExternal link or anabinExternal link databases to check whether your foreign educational qualifications are recognized in Germany.

If you do not hold an equivalent university entrance qualification yet, you will have to take the assessment test (FSP) at the preparatory college (Studienkolleg) before starting your degree programme. You can take a one-year preparation course at the Thuringian Studienkolleg in Nordhausen by applying at the International Office of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena.

Applicants with German citizenship or a German university entrance qualification (Abitur) can find more information on the general student information sites de.

Language requirements

At the moment of application, you have to prove your knowledge of the German language at level DSH-2 (German Language Test for Admission to Higher Education [pdf 61KB]pdf, 61 kb · de). You cannot start your studies at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena if you have only passed the DSH-1 exam! The following certificates accredited by the German Rectors Conference will be recognized as equivalents:

  • Goethe Certificate C2 (GDS)
  • German Language Diploma Level II of the KMK (DSD II)
  • TestDaF, at least TDN 4 in all four parts of the examination
  • telc Certificate C1 German for Higher Education (at least grade "satisfactory")
  • German exam as part of the assessment test at a Studienkolleg

If you do not have sufficient knowledge of German yet, the Friedrich Schiller University Jena offers you a preparatory language course for the DSH exam. To attend the course, your German knowledge must be at least on level B1.

Technical requirements

Paper applications are no longer accepted. You have to apply via our online portal.

Save your login and password. This enables you to use the online platform later without having to re-register.

Required documents

  1. Scan all documents mentioned below and save them as a multilateral PDF file under specific names.
  2. Have all documents at hand when filling in the online application, because you will need to insert data from them.
  • University entrance qualification:
    • a certified copy of your original school leaving certificate and university entrance examination (if applicable) with a sworn translation (into German or English)
    • a certified copy of your assessment test certificate (if you have completed a Studienkolleg in Germany)
  • Prior study programme:
    • a certified copy of your original degree certificate or times of study with a sworn translation (into German or English)
    • a certified copy of the original transcript of records for your degree with a sworn translation (into German or English)
  • Knowledge of the German language:
    • a certified copy of evidence of your German language proficiency (DSH-2 or equivalent; see our information on language requirements)
  • a CV (in tabular form)
  • Chinese, Indian and Vietnamese applicants: the original APS certificate issued by the Akademische Prüfstelle as proof of your academic achievements

Please note
If you are under the age of 18 years, you are required to submit a parental consent form [pdf 727KB]pdf, 727 kb · de.

If you would like to apply to study medicine, dentistry or pharmacy, you will have to submit evidence of your German proficiency within the deadline for applications.

Definition: certified copy

In Germany, all public bodies bearing an official seal can officially certify documents. This includes municipal administrations, district offices, and minor administrative authorities (e.g. local mayors, town administration, local registration offices etc.); it also includes courts and notaries. The culture department of the embassy of the country that issues a certificate can also provide official certifications.

Outside Germany: The following authorities are authorized to issue official certifications: the Diplomatic Missions of the Federal Republic of Germany and the authorities and notaries authorized to issue official certifications in their respective countries. The original stamp and signature of the certifying person must be provided.

Definition: sworn translation

Certificates must always be translated by an official body, e.g. the issuing institution or a sworn translator. Attestations made by non-certified translators will not be accepted.

Information on the admission process

First semester study places in Dentistry, Medicine, and Pharmacy are only awarded for winter semesters.

There are many international applicants for these study places every year. Please read our important information on the admission processpdf, 69 kb · de at the University of Jena carefully before starting your application.

back to the top

Application process, portal, and period

  • Application period (for the winter semester only): 1 May to 15 July
  1. Complete the online application and upload all required documents. More information are available in our manual for applicantspdf, 970 kb.
  2. You will be able to check the status of your application in the portal by entering your username  and password.
  3. Please regularly check your emails for new messages regarding your application.
  4. The University will notify you about your admission or rejection by email around mid-August.
  5. If your application is rejected, you may still take part in the lotteryExternal link (URL).
  6. If you receive an admission letter, it will include further instructions.

Here, you can find the application portal for 1st semester in medicine, dentistry and pharmacy.External link

If you are a citizen of an EU or EEA country or went to school in Germany (and have the German Abitur), please apply via the federal application portal by Stiftung für HochschulzulassungExternal link.


Please apply for a room at the student services organization External linkStudierendenwerk Thüringen at the same time as you apply for a study place (deadline: 15 July for the winter semester / 15 January for the summer semester). Looking for a room on the private housing market is much more difficult.

Please also see #3 at the FAQ.

Have you got any more questions?

You can find more information on visa, health insurance, costs, services, and many other details in our FAQ.


You can find information on master’s degrees in the general list of study programmes de.

If you would like to do a doctorate, please request information from the Graduate Academy.

If you are coming to Jena for a short-term study visit, please read the information for exchange students.


Do you still have questions? Please get in touch with Ms Fleur Frenk, Team International Students at the International Office.