Therapy in the Dentistry

State examination in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy (higher semesters)

Information for international applicants
Therapy in the Dentistry
Image: Universitätsklinikum

The following information only applies to applicants of foreign nationality and without German Abitur.

Deutsche Bewerber/innen oder Bildungsinländer/innen informieren sich bitte im Studienangebot de.

Admission requirements

Please check whether you already hold the university entrance qualification required to study in Germany. You can use the DAAD or anabin databases to check whether your foreign educational qualifications are recognized in Germany.

If you do not hold an equivalent university entrance qualification yet, you will have to take the assessment test (FSP) at the preparatory college (Studienkolleg) before starting your degree programme. You can take a one-year preparation course at the Thuringian Studienkolleg in Nordhausen by applying at the International Office of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena.

back to the top

Language requirements

When applying for Dentistry, Medicine or Pharmacy, you have to provide evidence that your level of German is equivalent to level DSH-2 (German Language Test for Admission to Higher Education) [pdf, 61 kb] de. You cannot start your studies at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena if you have only passed the DSH-1 exam. The following certificates accredited by the German Rectors Conference will be recognized as equivalents:

  • Goethe Certificate C2 (GDS)
  • German Language Diploma Level II of the KMK (DSD II)
  • TestDaF, at least TDN 4 in all four parts of the examination
  • telc Certificate C1 German for Higher Education (at least grade "satisfactory")
  • German exam as part of the assessment test at a Studienkolleg

If you apply for a higher semester in Dentistry, Medicine, or Pharmacy, you may submit your language certificate until 1 March or 1 September.

If you do not have sufficient knowledge of German, the Friedrich Schiller University Jena offers a preparatory language course for the DSH exam. To attend the course, your German level must be at least equivalent to B1 CEFR.

back to the top

Recognition of academic achievements

You can apply to start your studies in a higher semester if you have attained academic achievements abroad or in a similar study programme. You must attach the official transfer of credit notice (Anrechnungsbescheid) to your application. A State Examination Board for Academic Healthcare Professions (Landesprüfungsamt für akademische Heilberufe) issues this certificate. If you live in Germany, please contact the Landesprüfungsamt in your federal state. The State Examination Boards listed below are responsible for applicants who do not have a place of residence in Germany, yet:

Recognition and accreditation of academic achievements in medicine and dentistry:

Bezirksregierung Düsseldorf
Landesprüfungsamt für Medizin, Psychotherapie und Pharmazie
Postfach 300 865
40408 Düsseldorf

Recognition and accreditation of academic achievements in pharmacy:

Hessisches Landesprüfungs- und Untersuchungsamt im Gesundheitswesen
Abteilung II
Walter-Möller-Platz 1
60439 Frankfurt am Main

Please also note:

The admission restrictions for these study programmes also apply to higher semesters of study. The recognition and accreditation of academic achievements does not guarantee you a place at the university. Applicants are selected during the admission process based on the requirements and places available.

The University of Jena generally only accepts an application for a higher subject-related semester in Medicine, Pharmacy or Dentistry for the subject-related semester given in the transfer of credit notice or, exceptionally, for a subject-related semester deviating by a maximum of 1 (one) from the one given in the notice. This means that if you have a transfer of credit notice from the relevant state examination board for four semesters (four half-years), an application for the 5th or 4th subject-related semester is generally accepted. Please note that at the University of Jena you can only apply for the odd-numbered subject-related semesters (3rd, 5th, ...) in the winter semester and for the even-numbered subject-related semesters (2nd, 4th, ...) in the summer semester.

Applicants who are already studying or have studied the same study programme at another German university (change of location) can only apply for the next higher or consecutive subject-related semester of the same study programme. This means that if you have already studied two subject-related semesters (two half-years) of Medicine at a German university, you can only apply for the 3rd subject-related semester in Medicine at the University of Jena, which (as mentioned above) is only offered/awarded in a winter semester.

Whether you fulfil the subject-specific requirements of the University of Jena (=academic eligibility for the semester in question) will then be checked according to the correct semester applied for. In the overview at the end of this page, you will find the subject-specific requirements of the University of Jena for a placement in higher subject-related semesters in Medicine, Pharmacy, and Dentistry.

Please find out which proof of academic achievements you must provide to the University for the chosen study semester before starting your application. Check whether you have already completed all the credits required by the University of Jena in your previous studies and that these have been recognized in the Anrechnungsbescheid issued by the Landesprüfungsamt, in order to make sure you fulfil the requirements for the semester for which you are applying.

back to the top

Technical requirements

Paper applications are no longer accepted. You have to apply via our online portal

Save your login and password. This enables you to use the online platform later without having to re-register.

back to the top

Required documents

  1. Scan all documents mentioned below and save them as a multilateral PDF file under specific names.
  2. Have all documents at hand when filling in the online application, because you will need to insert data from them.
  • University entrance qualification:
    • a certified copy of your original school leaving certificate and university entrance examination (if taken) with a sworn translation (into German or English)
    • a certified copy of your assessment test certificate (if you have completed a Studienkolleg course in Germany)
  • Prior study programme:
    • a certified copy of your original degree certificate or times of study with a sworn translation (into German or English)
    • a certified copy of the original transcript of records for your degree with a sworn translation (into German or English)
  • Knowledge of the German language:
    • a certified copy of evidence of your German language proficiency (DSH-2 or equivalent; see our information on language requirements)
  • the official transfer of credit notice (Anrechnungsbescheid) of a State Examination Board for Academic Healthcare (see our information on accreditation of previous academic achievements)
  • a CV (in tabular form)
  • Chinese, Indian and Vietnamese applicants: the original certificate issued by the Akademische Prüfstelle as proof of your academic achievements

Please note
If you are under the age of 18 years, you are required to submit a parental consent form. [pdf, 727 kb] de

If you apply for a higher semester in Dentistry, Medicine, or Pharmacy, you may submit your language certificate until 1 March or 1 September.

Definition: certified copy

In Germany, all public bodies bearing an official seal can officially certify documents. This includes municipal administrations, district offices, and minor administrative authorities (e.g. local mayors, town administration, local registration offices, etc.); it also includes courts and notaries. The culture department of the embassy of the country that issues a certificate can also provide official certifications.

Outside Germany, the following authorities are authorized to issue official certifications: the Diplomatic Missions of the Federal Republic of Germany and the authorities and notaries authorized to issue official certifications in the respective countries. The original stamp and signature of the certifying person must be provided.

Definition: sworn translation

Certificates must always be translated by an official body, e.g. the issuing institution or a sworn translator. Attestations made by non-certified translators will not be accepted.

back to the top

Application process, portal, and period

  • Application period for the summer semester: 15 December to 15 January
  • Application period for the winter semester: 1 May to 15 July
  1. Complete the online application and upload all required documents. More information are available in our manual for applicants [pdf, 970 kb].
  2. You will be able to check the status of your application in the portal by entering your username and password.
  3. Please regularly check your emails for new messages regarding your application.
  4. If you receive a letter of admission, it will include further instructions.

You may submit evidence of the required language proficiency (DSH-2 or an equivalent language certificate) at a later date, but no later than 1 September or 1 March. If you fail to meet the deadline, your application will not be considered for admission onto higher semesters in these study programmes.

Here you can find the application portal for higher semesters in medicine, dentistry and pharmacy.

back to the top

Applying for a room

Please apply for a room at the student services organization Studierendenwerk Thüringen at the same time as you apply for a study place (deadline: 15 July for the winter semester / 15 January for the summer semester). Looking for a room on the private housing market is much more difficult.

back to the top

Any more questions?

You can find more information on visa, health insurance, costs, services, and many other details in our FAQ.


You can find information on master’s degrees in the general list of study programmes de.

If you would like to do a doctorate, please request information from the Graduate Academy.

If you are coming to Jena for a short-term study visit, please read the information for exchange students.


Do you still have questions? Please get in touch with Ms Cornelia Dwars, Team International Students at the International Office.