Law books as an important tool for the studies in law

Postgraduate studies in Law (LL.M., LL.M.oec.)

Information for international applicants
Law books as an important tool for the studies in law
Image: Jan-Peter Kasper/FSU

The following information only applies to applicants of foreign nationality and without German Abitur.

Deutsche Bewerber/innen oder Bildungsinländer/innen informieren sich bitte im Studienangebot de.

Information on study programmes

We offer the following study programmes:

Applications are open to anyone with a law degree from a foreign university who is interested in postgraduate studies in German law.

back to the top

Admission requirements

Please check first whether you already hold the university entrance qualification required to study in Germany. You can use the DAAD or anabin databases to check whether your foreign educational qualifications are recognized in Germany.

To be eligible for admission to the postgraduate study programmes at the Faculty of Law, you must have completed a first degree in law that is comparable to a law degree obtained at a German university, with legal subjects accounting for at least 65% of all academic achievements acquired.

back to the top

Language requirements

If you are eligible for direct admission to university, you have to prove that your  German language proficiency corresponds to level DSH-2 (German Language Test for Admission to Higher Education) [pdf, 61 kb] de. You cannot start your studies at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena if you have only passed the DSH-1 exam. The following certificates accredited by the German Rectors Conference will be recognized as equivalents:

  • Goethe Certificate C2 (GDS)
  • German Language Diploma Level II of the KMK (DSD II)
  • TestDaF, at least TDN 4 in all four parts of the examination
  • telc Certificate C1 German for Higher Education
  • German exam as part of the assessment test at a Studienkolleg

If you are yet to take the DSH-2 exam, you can request conditional admission onto a degree programme. In that case, you must provide proof of participation in a German course, where the exam taken is at post-intermediate level (C1). This conditional admission will only become effective if you submit the DSH-2 certificate (or an equivalent certificate) by the enrolment date.

If you do not have sufficient knowledge of German, the Friedrich Schiller University Jena offers a preparatory language course for the DSH exam. To attend the course, your German level must be at least equivalent to level B1 CEFR.

back to the top

Technical requirements

Paper applications are no longer accepted. You have to apply via our online portal.

  • You must use an actual computer, no smartphone or tablet.
  • We recommend that you use an up-to-date version of the firefox web browser with JavaScript activated.
  • Pop-ups must be enabled.
  • Your computer must be connected to a working printer.
  • Save your application as a PDF before printing it.

Save your login (= your email address) and password. This enables you to use the online platform later without having to re-register.

back to the top

Required documents

  1. Scan all documents mentioned below and save them as PDF files under specific names.
  2. Have all documents at hand when filling in the online application, because you will need to insert data from them.
  • a certified copy of your original school leaving certificate and university entrance examination (if applicable) with a sworn translation (into German or English)
  • a certified copy of your original degree certificate or times of study with a sworn translation (into German or English)
  • a certified copy of the original transcript of records for your degree with a sworn translation (into German or English)
  • a certified copy of your assessment test certificate (if you have completed a Studienkolleg course in Germany)
  • Chinese and Vietnamese applicants: the original APS certificate issued by the Akademische Prüfstelle as proof of your academic achievements
  • a certified copy of evidence of your German language proficiency (see our information on language requirements)
  • a CV (in tabular format)
  • a copy of your passport
Definition: certified copy

In Germany, all public bodies bearing an official seal can officially certify documents. This includes municipal administrations, district offices, and minor administrative authorities (e.g. local mayors, town administration, local registration offices, etc.); it also includes courts and notaries. The culture department of the embassy of the country that issues a certificate can also provide official certifications.

Outside Germany, the following authorities are authorized to issue official certifications: the Diplomatic Missions of the Federal Republic of Germany and the authorities and notaries authorized to issue official certifications in their respective countries. The original stamp and signature of the certifying person must be provided.

Definition: sworn translation

Certificates must always be translated by an official body, e.g. the issuing institution or a sworn translator. Attestations made by non-certified translators will not be accepted.

back to the top

Application process, portal, and period

  • Application period for the summer semester: 15 October to 15 December
  • Application period for the winter semester: 1 May to 15 June
  1. Complete the online application and upload all required documents. If you experience technical issues, please re-enter your data. Your application will then be recorded again (with a new, higher applicant number).
  2. Save your application as a PDF.
  3. Print the application and sign it.
  4. Send your application for admission without documents and copies of certificates to the following address:

    Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena
    Internationales Büro
    Fürstengraben 1
    07743 Jena

  5. Your application will only be processed and/or included in the admission and selection process if the University receives it by post within the deadline.
  6. You will be able to check the status of your application in the portal by entering your username (your email address) and password.
  7. Please regularly check your emails for new messages regarding your application.
  8. If you receive a letter of admission, it will include further instructions.

Here, you can find the application portal for postgraduate studies in law.

back to the top

Applying for a room

Please apply for a room at the student services organization Studierendenwerk Thüringen at the same time as you apply for a study place (deadline: 15 July for the winter semester / 15 January for the summer semester). Looking for a room on the private housing market [pdf 354KB] is much more difficult.

back to the top

Any more questions?

You can find more information on visa, health insurance, costs, services, and many other details in our FAQ.


You can find information on master’s degrees in the general list of study programmes de.

If you would like to do a doctorate, please request information from the Graduate Academy.

If you are coming to Jena for a short-term study visit, please read the information for exchange students.


Do you still have questions? Please get in touch with Ms Cornelia Dwars, Team International Students at the International Office.